Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that eigenvalues are constants

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    i suppose matrices of the form $$A_i=\left(\begin{array}[cc] ccos(x_i)&sin(x_i)\\sin(x_i)&-cos(x_i)\end{array}\right)$$

And i consider the matrix

$$C=A1\otimes A2\otimes 1_4-A1\otimes 1_4\otimes A2$$

I would like to show that the eigenvalues of C are independent of the x
    i tried with mathematica but i have no proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is ##1_4##?

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3
    The identity matrix of dimension 4 $$\left(\begin{array}[cccc]a1&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1\end{array}\right)$$

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
    What do you mean by ##\otimes##?

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5
    The usual Kronecker product or tensor product

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6
    First, your matrices ##A_i## are the reflection matrices: in particular that means that the spectrum of ##A_i## is ##\{-1, 1\}## and that ##A_i## are unitarily equivalent to $$A_0= \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right),$$ meaning that ##A=U_i A_0 U_i^{-1}##, where ##U_i## are unitary operators (with real entries). Matrices ##U_i## can be easily computed, but it does not matter here.

Since the spectrum ##\sigma(A\otimes B)## is the product of ##\sigma(A)## and ##\sigma (B)## you just need to prove that the spectrum of ##A_2\otimes I_4 - I_4\otimes A_2## does not depend on ##x_2##. To see that you can notice that ##I_4 = I_2\otimes I_2##, so $$A_2\otimes I_4 - I_4\otimes A_2 = A_2\otimes I_2\otimes I_2 - I_2\otimes I_2\otimes A_2, $$ and the latter operator is unitarily equivalent to $$A_0\otimes I_2\otimes I_2 - I_2\otimes I_2\otimes A_0$$ (can you see why?)

So the spectrum does not depend on ##x_2##.

8. Apr 21, 2015 #7
    To show this I think we multiply left by $$U\otimes U\otimes U$$ and right by the inverses of U ?

Thanks a lot.

9. Apr 22, 2015 #8
    If by ##U## you mean ##U_2##, then yes, you are correct. You can also use ##U_2\otimes I_2\otimes U_2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook