Propagation of uncertainty in the slope

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the uncertainty of the parameters x_e' and x_e', based on the measured values of slope and intercept. The participants discussed different equations and methods for calculating these uncertainties, ultimately arriving at a final value of 0.001 for the uncertainty of x_e'. The conversation also mentioned the importance of formatting numbers to save ink.
Jussi Lundahl
I'm doing a lab report from electronic spectrum of iodine. I did Birge-Sponer plot from my data. Excel gave it to me a slope y = -2,0698x+133,34. From regression analysis I get uncertainties for slope and intercept.

Slope: ##-2,069761731 \pm 0,075075941##
Intercept: ##133,3385857 \pm 2,396753622##
But the real equation of the slope is $$\Delta E_{v'} = \tilde{\nu}_e'-2\tilde{\nu}_e'x_e'(v'+1)$$, where
$$\tilde{\nu}_e' = 133,3385857 \pm 2,396753622 $$
$$-2\tilde{\nu}_e'x_e' = -2,069761731 \pm 0,075075941 $$
$$(v'+1)=x $$.

Now the question: How I can calculate uncertainty of $$\tilde{\nu}_e'x_e'$$ and $$x_e'$$?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cleaned up your equations a bit. To do what you want you have to write your desired parameters in terms of your measured parameters (the slope and the intercept).

Dale said:
I cleaned up your equations a bit. To do what you want you have to write your desired parameters in terms of your measured parameters (the slope and the intercept).

So, you mean like this:
$$\tilde{\nu}_e' - 2\tilde{\nu}_e'x_e' = 0$$
$$ x_e' = \frac{\tilde{\nu}_e'}{2\tilde{\nu}_e'}$$

and the uncertainty is
$$\delta x_e' = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{\partial \frac{ \tilde{\nu}_e' }{2 \tilde{\nu}_e' }}{\partial \tilde{\nu}_e' } \times \delta \tilde{\nu}_e' \right)^2} $$
$$\delta x_e' = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{1/2}{\partial \tilde{\nu}_e'} \times 2,396753622 \right)^2}$$.

There for $$\delta x_e' =0.$$ Is this right?

Maybe. You haven't told us what your measured parameters are.

And by the way 133.3385857 +/- 2.396753622 should be 133.3 +/- 2.4. Do you understand why?

Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe. You haven't told us what your measured parameters are.

And by the way 133.3385857 +/- 2.396753622 should be 133.3 +/- 2.4. Do you understand why?

Yes, I understand. I just copy/paste the values from excel. :) What do you mean by measured parameters?

I think I figured out this problem...

$$Lets~calculate~x_e':$$
\begin{align*}
&& k= - 2\tilde{\nu}_e'x_e' &= -2,069761731\\ \\
\iff && x_e' &= -\frac{k}{2\tilde{\nu}_e'}\\ \\
\iff && x_e' &= \frac{2,069761731}{2\tilde{\nu}_e'} = 0,007761301
\end{align*}
and the uncertainty is:
\begin{align*}
&&\delta x_e' &= \sqrt{ \left( \frac{\partial x_e'}{\partial \tilde{\nu}_e' } \times \delta \tilde{\nu}_e' \right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial x_e'}{\partial k} \times \delta k\right)^2} \\ \\
\iff && \delta x_e' &= \sqrt{\left(\frac{k}{2\times (\tilde{\nu}_e')^2} \times \delta \tilde{\nu}_e'\right)^2 + \left(-\frac{1}{2 \times \tilde{\nu}_e'}\times \delta k \right)^2} \\ \\
\iff && \delta x_e' &= \sqrt{ \left( \frac{-2,069761731}{2\times (133,3385857)^2} \times 2,396753622 \right)^2 + \left(-\frac{1}{2\times133,3385857}\times 0,075075941\right)^2} \\ \\
&& &= 0,000314195 \approx 0,001
\end{align*}

Jussi Lundahl said:
So, you mean like this:
$$\tilde{\nu}_e' - 2\tilde{\nu}_e'x_e' = 0$$

and the uncertainty is
$$\delta x_e' = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{\partial \frac{ \tilde{\nu}_e' }{2 \tilde{\nu}_e' }}{\partial \tilde{\nu}_e' } \times \delta \tilde{\nu}_e' \right)^2} $$
$$\delta x_e' = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{1/2}{\partial \tilde{\nu}_e'} \times 2,396753622 \right)^2}$$.

There for $$\delta x_e' =0.$$ Is this right?
Sorry for necropost. There seems to be a mistake/typo here:

Terms cancel out and we end up with 1/2.

Jussi Lundahl said:
Yes, I understand. I just copy/paste the values from excel. :
You can format numbers (and anything else) to show them in a variety of ways. Choose the decimal places and save yourself ink!

1. What is the slope in the context of uncertainty propagation?

The slope refers to the rate of change between two variables in a linear relationship. In uncertainty propagation, the slope represents the relationship between the uncertainties in the independent and dependent variables.

2. How is uncertainty in the slope calculated?

The uncertainty in the slope is calculated using the standard error of the slope formula, which takes into account the uncertainty in the individual data points and the correlation between them. This formula is often used in linear regression analysis to determine the uncertainty in the slope of the fitted line.

3. What factors can affect the uncertainty in the slope?

The uncertainty in the slope can be affected by several factors, including the number of data points, the magnitude of the uncertainties in the data, and the correlation between the data points. Other factors such as measurement errors and systematic errors can also contribute to the uncertainty in the slope.

4. How does uncertainty in the slope impact the overall uncertainty in a measurement?

The uncertainty in the slope can have a significant impact on the overall uncertainty in a measurement, especially if the slope is large or the uncertainties in the data are large. In some cases, the uncertainty in the slope can be the dominant source of uncertainty in a measurement.

5. How can uncertainty in the slope be minimized or reduced?

One way to minimize or reduce the uncertainty in the slope is to increase the number of data points, which can improve the precision of the slope calculation. Additionally, reducing the uncertainties in the data and minimizing sources of error can also help to decrease the uncertainty in the slope.