Prove by induction that cos(6θ)+isin(6θ)=(cosθ+isinθ)^6

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Complex Induction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Homework Helper
Messages
3,802
Reaction score
95

Homework Statement


Prove by induction [tex]cos(6\theta)+isin(6\theta)=(cos\theta +isin\theta )^6[/tex] for all [tex]\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations


by DeMoivres theorem, [tex](cos\theta +isin\theta )^n=cos(n\theta)+isin(n\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Well when I first looked at this problem I thought there was an error in the question because from what I know, induction has a flaw in that it can only prove for integers, not ALL values.

Anyway, so I need to prove:

[tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=(cos(k+1)+isin(k+1)) ^6[/tex]

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So
[tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=e^{i6(k+1)}=(e^{6i})^{k+1}=e^{6i}.(e^{6i})^k[/tex]

Sorry but I'm unsure what to do from here. And please correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Mentallic said:
So
[tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=e^{i6(k+1)}=(e^{6i})^{k+1}=e^{6i}.(e^{6i})^k[/tex]

Sorry but I'm unsure what to do from here. And please correct me if I'm wrong.
Try this instead.
[tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=e^{i6(k+1)}=(e^{i(k + 1)})^{6}[/tex]

Now you're almost there...
 
I think you may be misinterpreting the question here. I assume that you are supposed to start by showing [itex]cos(n\theta)+isin(n\theta)=(cos\theta +isin\theta )^n[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex], and some positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (I'd use n=1 as your starting point) by expanding [itex](cos\theta +isin\theta )^k[/itex] and using the multiple angle trig identities. Then assuming it is true for [itex]n=k[/itex] show that it is true for [itex]n=k+1[/itex] and hence by induction that it is true for all n, including [itex]n=6[/itex]

Mark's method isn't really a proof by induction, since you are assuming that Euler's formula holds for all [itex]\theta[/itex].
 
gabbagabbahey said:
I think you may be misinterpreting the question here. I assume that you are supposed to start by showing [itex]cos(n\theta)+isin(n\theta)=(cos\theta +isin\theta )^n[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex], and some positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (I'd use n=1 as your starting point) by expanding [itex](cos\theta +isin\theta )^k[/itex] and using the multiple angle trig identities. Then assuming it is true for [itex]n=k[/itex] show that it is true for [itex]n=k+1[/itex] and hence by induction that it is true for all n, including [itex]n=6[/itex]

Mark's method isn't really a proof by induction, since you are assuming that Euler's formula holds for all [itex]\theta[/itex].

It seemed odd to me, too, but I'm just going by what mentallic wrote in the first post in this thread:
Prove by induction [tex]cos(6\theta)+isin(6\theta)=(cos\theta +isin\theta )^6[/tex] for all theta.

and
Well when I first looked at this problem I thought there was an error in the question because from what I know, induction has a flaw in that it can only prove for integers, not ALL values.
 
It is a poorly worded question; they may as well have just asked to prove by induction that [itex](x)^6=x^6[/itex] for all x.
 
Well this is the only question I got wrong in that test (besides a couple sloppy errors). I was unsure how I would prove for all [tex]\theta[/tex] without using DeMoivres theorem, and at the same time, if I were to assume the theorem true, then... I have pretty much the same thing as what you said gabbagabbahey:
gabbagabbahey said:
It is a poorly worded question; they may as well have just asked to prove by induction that for all x.

So I instead went ahead and proved DeMoivres theorem [tex]cos(n\theta)+isin(n\theta)=(cos\theta+isin\theta)^n[/tex]
And thus, true for n=6 and I probably cheated here when I finished with the statement, hence true for all [tex]\theta[/tex].

Mark44 said:
Try this instead.
[tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=e^{i6(k+1)}=(e^{i(k + 1)})^{6}[/tex]

Now you're almost there...
Sorry Mark, but I was never taught Euler's method. We rather used the mod-arg form [tex]rcis\theta[/tex]. But I have heard that there is a clear relationship between these 2 forms, so if we could convert to the mod-arg form, I could proceed :smile:

gabbagabbahey said:
It is a poorly worded question; they may as well have just asked to prove by induction that [itex](x)^6=x^6[/itex] for all x.
If it is poorly worded, what should the question have been instead? Because this is exactly what we needed to answer.