Putnam Exam: Is it Worth it for Undergrads to Focus on Grad School Apps?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Anonymous217
Messages
355
Reaction score
2
I'll give a quick background on myself: I'm an undergrad soph this coming Fall, and I can take a upper div. course that prepares for the Putnam. However, I've never taken the IMO, AMC, etc., and so I have no experience with problem-solving tests. However, I do have a good deal of undergrad math knowledge (multivar., 2 sem. linear alg/diff eq., discrete, numerical analysis, real analysis, abstract algebra, etc.).

Is it really worth it to try to get a high score for grad schools in the remaining years or should undergrads generally ignore the Putnam and just focus on research?
I heard a 40 or 50+ score is good for applications, but how manageable is that to even obtain?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
IF you're considering Putnam because you want to go to grad school, then I don't think it's a good idea. To get a decent score, you'll have to study quite a lot and you'll need to make a lot of practise problems. This could get in the way of studying for your real courses.

In my opinion it's best to maintain a good GPA and get some research experience. Focus on that if you want to go to grad school. Putnam is good if it doesn't interfere with your actual courses and research experience!
 
micromass said:
IF you're considering Putnam because you want to go to grad school, then I don't think it's a good idea. To get a decent score, you'll have to study quite a lot and you'll need to make a lot of practise problems. This could get in the way of studying for your real courses.

In my opinion it's best to maintain a good GPA and get some research experience. Focus on that if you want to go to grad school. Putnam is good if it doesn't interfere with your actual courses and research experience!
Thanks for the advice. Doesn't the Putnam always interfere with course work and research experience though? I mean, you could use the time studying for the Putnam to enroll in another course, or to spend more time on research.

I guess I should just enroll in the Putnam course and an alternative, see if I find the Putnam interesting, and then decide on which one to drop.
 
Anonymous217 said:
Thanks for the advice. Doesn't the Putnam always interfere with course work and research experience though? I mean, you could use the time studying for the Putnam to enroll in another course, or to spend more time on research.

Probably. But if you're interested in competitions and problem-solving, then by all means: take the putnam! But if you only want the putnam to get into grad school, then you should reconsider...