Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum sensor and units issue

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    "quantum sensor" and units issue

I'm working on an wireless sensor network for a commercial greenhouse concerned with energy use and efficiency. Much of the literature regarding photosynthetic active radiation uses watts/square meter, but the client has requested a measurement in micromoles/square meter/second as the photon flux density. The commercially available "quantum sensors" use this unit, but we would like to use an array of simple photodiodes as a cost effective alternative.

So, how do you convert from W/m2 to umol/m2/s? We will specifically be looking at and distinguishing between wavelengths 400-500 and 600-700 (because that's what the plants need). If we use a passive sensor with a voltage output, how do I translate that into moles of photons??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haha, that's funny, I never heard the expression "a mole of photons" before :smile:

Now, the conversion is very simple:

if v is the frequency of the light (in Hz), then the energy of a mole of photons is given by:

E = h x Na x v

where h is Planck's constant and Na is Avogadro's constant.

A mole of photons per second is then the above expression in Watts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?