Question about animals' change of number of legs when they grow

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the number of organisms living in a pond based on the data provided in a table. One student comments that there are at least 6 different populations in the pond, but another student argues that the term "population" is not applicable in this scenario. The conversation also touches on the possibility of different interpretations and conclusions from the data. Ultimately, the original question is deemed flawed as there is not enough information to confirm or deny the statement.
I recently had a science exam and there is one question I would like to know about.

Question: Some students noted the number of organisms living in a pond. The table below shows the number of plants and animals:

Plants

Position in pond Number of plants

Fully Submerged: 124

Partially Submerged: 186

Floating: 203

Legs

Animals

Legs Number of Animals

With no legs: 44

With legs: 36

One of the students commented that there are at least 6 different populations living in the pond. Is he correct?

(a) Correct
(b) Incorrect

My answer was that he is incorrect since it is not possible to make such a conclusion from the data given as some animals like the tadpole have legs when they are adult frogs but not when they are younger. Also, slightly older tadpoles have legs while newborn ones don't.

However, I was marked wrong and I would like to confirm here whether I am correct. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
3.14159253589 said:
One of the students commented that there are at least 6 different populations living in the pond. Is he correct?

In such a scenario, the usage of the word 'population' is incorrect since it is defined for a group of individuals that belong to the same species. Are you sure that this was the exact question?

mishrashubham said:
In such a scenario, the usage of the word 'population' is incorrect since it is defined for a group of individuals that belong to the same species. Are you sure that this was the exact question?

Yes. That is what they meant. They are asking whether the statement is true or false.

Perhaps I am missing something, but for me it is either poorly worded, or poorly thought problem. Every floating plant I can imagine is partially submerged, yet number of partially submerged plants is lower than the number of floating plants.

My guess is that it is the differences in numbers of plants that lead to the conclusion that there are at least 4 different species of plants in the pond. There are 203-186 plants that are floating without submerging, perhaps someone thought these are different from all other floating plants (or some similar way of thinking). But I don't think this conclusion was correct.

The term population does not make sense here. If we had a field and in it were 6 herds of cows they would each be a population however there is still one species in the field.

If that is the question then it is flawed, you cannot answer A or B. From the data we can neither say yes or no.

What causes animals to change the number of legs they have when they grow?

The change in number of legs for animals is primarily due to genetic programming. As they develop and grow, certain genes are activated that determine the number of legs the animal will have. Environmental factors such as nutrition and physical space can also impact the development of an animal's legs.

Why do some animals have more or less legs than others?

The number of legs an animal has is largely determined by its species. Different species have evolved to have different numbers of legs that are best suited for their survival and adaptation. For example, insects typically have six legs, while mammals have four. Additionally, variations in genetic mutations and environmental pressures can also lead to differences in the number of legs among individuals within a species.

Do animals always have the same number of legs their entire life?

No, animals do not always have the same number of legs their entire life. Some animals, such as insects, go through a process called metamorphosis where they may have a different number of legs at different stages of their life. Other animals, like amphibians, may lose or regenerate legs as they develop or in response to injury or predation.

Can animals change the number of legs they have during their lifetime?

While some animals may modify their number of legs through processes like regeneration, most animals are born with a predetermined number of legs that do not change throughout their lifetime. This is due to the way their genes are expressed and controlled during development.

What is the advantage of having a certain number of legs for an animal?

The number of legs an animal has is often optimized for its survival and adaptation in its environment. For example, having a certain number of legs may allow for faster movement, better balance, or improved ability to catch prey. Having too many or too few legs may hinder an animal's survival, so the optimal number of legs can vary greatly among different species.