Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the multiverse theory

1. Apr 28, 2014 #1
    Hi, I'm interested in pre Big Bang theories at the moment and I have been reading about the multiverse theory. My question is, is the multiverse thought to have a beginning? It seems if it didn't it would end the first cause debate. Although, I stumbled across a video of William Lane Craig arguing that even the multiverse must have a beginning - but not being a physicist and a Christian one might have to take what he has to say on that with a pinch of salt.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on physics!

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2
    depends on the multi-verse theory your studying. For example you could be studying an eternally cyclic multi-verse theory. Or you could be studying one that had a first universe that propagated other universes.. The number of different multi-verse theories is immense. However we have no observational evidence of any of them. Most are merely mathematical extensions of the physics we study in this universe. Others are extensions of interpretations in quantum processes. Such as many worlds interpretation.

4. Apr 28, 2014 #3
    I see, interesting. Thanks

5. Apr 28, 2014 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

Yeah, I wouldn't listen to anything Craig says on cosmology. He is a religious apologist hunting for ways to prove that the universe is of finite age.

6. Apr 29, 2014 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We do not know if the universe is finite in space or time. The observable universe is clearly bounded in both respects, but, those boundaries are merely a consequence of our incomplete knowledge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook