Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rare snow covers south Louisiana, Miss

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Holy Cow, EIGHT INCHES!!!!! That's unreal.

:bugeye:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081211/ap_on_re_us/south_winter_weather

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2
    It's just not fair. Even louisiana gets eight inches? Bugger.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    How is it rare? I've seen that kind of snow all over the place. Now, if it was something like blue snow, then you could call it rare.

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These guys need some serious practice. These are some of the most pathetic snowmen I've ever seen. (Especially photos 12 & 14. The picture in between of the dog was an interesting choice of subject, though.)

http://www.9reports.com/MediaItemView.aspx?id=36225

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5

Evo

Got to love the dog picture. D H's snowman is far superior to any shown at that news site. Of course he is a PF Member, we would expect no less. :approve:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1996872&postcount=10

7. Dec 11, 2008 #6
    I wonder how many of those people saw snow for the first time in their lives.

8. Dec 11, 2008 #7

Evo

I was over 16 years old the first time I saw snow. Until then it was something I'd only seen on tv or in movies. It was weird to actually experience it for the first time at that age. I have a freezer and had snowcones, so I had a good idea of what it felt like, but had never experienced it falling from the sky. Although I get tired of it now, I still have a bit of a fascination with it.

9. Dec 11, 2008 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well den, dat's because I know how to build 'em, you betcha. Some of that Minnesota education finally paid off.

10. Dec 12, 2008 #9
    DH, that is a really great snowman. I'd like to get some rare snow, but to date all of ours has been the regular type.

11. Dec 12, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just about anyone under the age of 20.

My parents have lived in Baton Rouge for about 30 years and this was only the second time there's been enough snow for things like snowmen. The other was in 1988. It was like DH's snowman where it took every single bit of snow in the yard to build one snowman.

(His is good, but he still has an awful lot of leaves and grass in his snowman. Kind of unavoidable.)

12. Dec 12, 2008 #11
    i think that southern MS got hit like this back in like the 40's. up here in central AL, our freak snow tends to come late, like march/april-ish.

13. Dec 12, 2008 #12

Evo

New England has been hit hard. I hope turbo is doing ok.

Ice storms knock power out across NY, New England

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081212/us_nm/us_utilities_newengland_outages

14. Dec 12, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

We're doing OK, and still have power (crossing fingers, knocking on wood....). Out here, there are few people, and the power company always goes after the low-hanging fruit. If they can restore power to a part of town with more people, they will, every time. I have a generator in case the power goes out. I sure hate shoveling slush, though. It was warm and not too windy, but it's never fun shoveling several inches of saturated snow in the pouring rain. (Oooh! My back!)

15. Dec 12, 2008 #14

Evo

Glad the outage missed you! We've been lucky so far this year, the first snow came right after the trees had dropped their leaves.

16. Dec 12, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Outages are still affecting hundreds of thousands, mostly in the southern part of the state. An astrophotographer friend on another forum posted images from his home in Lafayette, LA. What a shocker! Snow in Louisiana.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?