Really tired of this Lawsuit stuff

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, this person was hanging out on top of the Washington Arch, claimed to be doing historical research, and 'recognized' Detective Dietrich as someone who would become very famous/accomplished.
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Seems like every five minutes this advertisement is on TV:
https://www.consumernotice.org/legal/camp-lejeune-lawsuits/
Yep. Seems like the only way around it is to stop watching TV. Or just stick to streaming.

That's hardly the only seriously obnoxious ad on TV. Even aside from local car dealerships (we have a particularly disgusting one in my area) there's that series of amazingly obnoxious ones for Liberty Insurance.

phinds said:
there's that series of amazingly obnoxious ones for Liberty Insurance.
You've got that right. :oldgrumpy:

phinds said:
Yep. Seems like the only way around it is to stop watching TV. Or just stick to streaming.
Or live in a more civilised country.

It is difficult to bring to mind a commercial seen in the last ten years which actually provided useful information. I guess public health information about COVID counts.

Beer commercials are supposed to be stupid. Car commercials just are stupid. Insurance commercials, if they are not being inane, it seems like everyone touts the 15% that you can save by switching. But that's just the 15% that you can save by switching from anyone to anyone -- if you have a reason to switch and then optimize your coverage after switching. Political commercials portray one side of every issue, shaving the truth so closely that every statement is a lie. "You owe it to yourself" or "You deserve a break today". Yeah, yeah, sure thing, everyone knows that I am the pure and perfect product of human evolution, definitely should buy your product, whether or not I can afford it.

The ones that bother me the most right now are the ones that must be sponsorted by Amazon asking us to tell the government not to take away our Amazon Prime. I wish I knew what that was all about. Someone probably has an actual idea worth arguing rationally about there.

Googled that one. Good info. As I'd suspected, total bollocks.

"The CCIA ads are designed to drive public opinion against the American Innovation and Choice Online (AICO) Act, a bipartisan bill that would ban some common anti-competitive behaviors by tech giants that harm third-party sellers using their platforms, like ranking their own company products higher on their platforms."

"All lawyers were outlawed in 1998. All legal matters are now handled by realtors."
If only.

Now I'm going to buy me some zinc. "I can spring for a couple tons".

(Bonus points for recognizing the reference)

Likes diogenesNY
phinds said:
Yep. Seems like the only way around it is to stop watching TV.
Not good enough unfortunately. Driving into Philly on i95 a few days ago, there must have been a dozen billboards for personal injury law firms in the last couple of miles. Maybe half of all billboards. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
There was once a bunch of ambulance chasers in our local shopping center asking everyone who went by if they'd had an accident in the last three years. I didn't think of it at the time, but I really wish I'd looked at my then-two year old son and said "no, he was planned" in an affronted tone.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and BillTre
russ_watters said:
Not good enough unfortunately. Driving into Philly on i95 a few days ago, there must have been a dozen billboards for personal injury law firms in the last couple of miles. Maybe half of all billboards. Unbelievable.
Yeah, billboards are obnoxious. But I do miss the old Burma Shave signs.

MY all time favorite was just after NASA was formed:

Before you race

... for outer space

...... take a look

....... at your face

........ Burma Shave

Last edited:
Likes OCR and jbriggs444
phinds said:
But I do miss the old Burma Shave signs.
:oldlove::oldlove::oldlove:

Vanadium 50 said:
"All lawyers were outlawed in 1998. All legal matters are now handled by realtors."
If only.

Now I'm going to buy me some zinc. "I can spring for a couple tons".

(Bonus points for recognizing the reference)
Episode of Barney Miller when Harris apprehends a self described 'time traveler' (claiming he was doing historical research) who was apparently hanging out on top of the Washington Arch while waiting for his ride home. He also 'recognized' Detective Dietrich as someone who would become very famous/accomplished.

Dietrich to his colleagues: "Hey, I couldn't have done it without you..."

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50
Well done.

1. What is the current status of the lawsuit?

The current status of the lawsuit may vary depending on the specific case. However, it typically involves ongoing legal proceedings and negotiations between the parties involved.

2. How long does a lawsuit usually last?

The duration of a lawsuit can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the case and the court system. It can range from a few months to several years.

3. What is the purpose of a lawsuit?

The purpose of a lawsuit is to resolve a legal dispute between two or more parties. It allows individuals or organizations to seek justice and compensation for damages or injuries caused by the other party.

4. How much does it cost to file a lawsuit?

The cost of filing a lawsuit can vary depending on the type of case and the court system. It may include court fees, attorney fees, and other related expenses. It is best to consult with a lawyer for an accurate estimate of costs.

5. Can a lawsuit be settled out of court?

Yes, a lawsuit can be settled out of court through negotiations between the parties involved. This can save time and money compared to a lengthy court trial. However, it is ultimately up to the parties to decide if they want to settle or proceed with a trial.