Recommend a physics&calculus book

• Thread starter Hossam Halim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, for a high school student interested in studying theoretical physics and mathematics in the future, recommended books for calculus are Thomas Calculus, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, Lang's "First Course in Calculus" if it is their first encounter with calculus, Apostol's Calculus if they already know the basic ideas of calculus, and Spivak's Calculus if they already know calculus moderately well and are comfortable with proofs. It is advised to work through an actual calculus book rather than relying solely on MIT's OCW as a primary resource. For MIT's OCW, the scholar courses for calculus 1 and physics 1 are recommended, but should be treated as supplementary resources rather than primary. It is also
Hossam Halim
Hi,
I am a high school student . I'd like to study theoretical physics and mathematics : pure and applied in the near future .
So, can you suggest me a book to study calculus and another for physics ??

And do you agree with me that it is a good idea to go along with the order and textbooks of MIT opencourseware ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you already know: how much math/physics do you know so far? Which grade are you in?

Thomas Calculus & Fundamentals of physics Halliday and Resnick

NR

Norules said:
Thomas Calculus & Fundamentals of physics Halliday and Resnick

NR

What about Spivak or Apostol's calculus ?

Hossam Halim said:
What about Spivak or Apostol's calculus ?

Are you already comfortable to some of the ideas of calculus? How comfortable are you with proofs? Spivak is not meant as a first calc book, it's even more intro to analysis. Apostol seems a bit more doable, but I wouldn't recommend it as first book either.

If it is your first encounter to calculus, then I highly recommend Langs "First course in calculus".
If you already know the basic ideas of calculus, then go for Apostol.
If you already know calculus moderately well and if you know proofs, then go for Spivak.

Vahsek said:
It depends on what you already know: how much math/physics do you know so far? Which grade are you in?

I said : i am a high school student

Hossam Halim said:
I said : i am a high school student

That's very vague.

Some high school students barely know basic algebra, some already know linear algebra and Calc III. Same with physics.

micromass said:
Are you already comfortable to some of the ideas of calculus? How comfortable are you with proofs? Spivak is not meant as a first calc book, it's even more intro to analysis. Apostol seems a bit more doable, but I wouldn't recommend it as first book either.

If it is your first encounter to calculus, then I highly recommend Langs "First course in calculus".
If you already know the basic ideas of calculus, then go for Apostol.
If you already know calculus moderately well and if you know proofs, then go for Spivak.

I don't know anything about integration
I know functions, limits and some differentiation .
So, which stage i am on now ?

Hossam Halim said:

Then perhaps you can go for Apostol. The book is quite challenging though. He also covers integration before differentiation, which is nonstandard. But if you get through it, then you'll be an expert on calculus.

micromass said:
That's very vague.

Some high school students barely know basic algebra, some already know linear algebra and Calc III. Same with physics.

I know basic algebra, functions,limits and some differentiation and don't know anything about integration.
In physics, i know some mechanics and waves

Hossam Halim said:

From experience, I'd say you can go to MIT's OCW, and start with calculus 1 and physics 1. The scholar courses do not require any textbooks, but you could consider some of the books already mentioned in this thread as a supplement (although I wouldn't bother about them at first, before completing the scholar courses on OCW).

Vahsek said:
From experience, I'd say you can go to MIT's OCW, and start with calculus 1 and physics 1. The scholar courses do not require any textbooks, but you could consider some of the books already mentioned in this thread as a supplement (although I wouldn't bother about them at first, before completing the scholar courses on OCW).

You're a high school student, so I don't know if you have so much experience to begin with.

Also, I recommend against this. MITs OCW should absolutely be treated as secondary resources, not as primary resources. You absolutely need to focus on working through an actual calculus book. Any other way will likely give you bad foundations.

Vahsek said:

Ok, but there they recommend Simmons' then Apostol's then Spivak's !
So, would i study calculus from zero point three times !

micromass said:
You're a high school student, so I don't know if you have so much experience to begin with.

*Sighs*... Thanks for reminding me of that fact...

Hossam Halim said:
Ok, but there they recommend Simmons' then Apostol's then Spivak's !
So, would i study calculus from zero point three times !

Then I guess that you should follow micromass' advice.

micromass said:

Also, I recommend against this. MITs OCW should absolutely be treated as secondary resources, not as primary resources. You absolutely need to focus on working through an actual calculus book. Any other way will likely give you bad foundations.

There they give on single variable calculus two times :
1.single variable calculus (uses Simmons)
2.calculus with theory (uses Apostol)

So, should i consider the two courses or only one of them ?

1. What is the best physics and calculus book for beginners?

The best book for beginners in physics and calculus is "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman. It covers all the basics of both subjects in an easy-to-understand manner and includes many practice problems to reinforce learning.

2. Is there a physics and calculus book that covers both subjects in one book?

Yes, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Giancoli covers both physics and calculus in one book. It is a comprehensive textbook that is often used in university courses.

3. What is the most recommended calculus book for physics students?

The most recommended calculus book for physics students is "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. It is a rigorous and comprehensive textbook that covers all the necessary topics in calculus for physics students.

4. Are there any physics and calculus books that include real-world applications?

Yes, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett includes a wide range of real-world applications and examples to help students understand the practical applications of physics and calculus in various fields.

5. What is the best physics and calculus book for self-study?

The best book for self-study in physics and calculus is "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It is a comprehensive and easy-to-follow textbook that includes many practice problems and examples to help self-learners master the concepts.