1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reconsidering My Path with Asperger's

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    I just found out for sure today that I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I'm wondering how this should inform which career path I should take.

Here are the two paths I see in front of me:

I can either study to become a theoretical physicist (something that's been a dream of mine for a long time) and do research and teach in a university setting. I've been told by a number of people that I'm very good at teaching (at least on a qualitative level) physical concepts, and I love figuring out both how physical systems work and also the mechanics of the mathematics itself.

Or, I can do the more "practical" thing and become an engineer (say, an EE or aerospace). I am also good at diagnosing problems with electrical things and pretty darn good at coming up with new ways of doing things in that area, if I do say so myself.

What I want to know is whether there's someone or someones on PF who know how these two professions affect someone with a social disorder like mine and their thoughts.

To borrow a line I hear on NPR all the time: "I'll take this question off-air."

Thanks!

FV89

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone made a judgement and informed you of this judgement. Are you now somebody who you were not yesterday? You are the same person today who you were yesterday.

What do you WANT to do? What do you believe you would be good at doing? Try to develop yourself in any of the ideas and skills which you believe you could and want.

4. Oct 31, 2012 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Hi me again. I'm an Aspie, and honestly, if you've lived your life so far with no issues, then I don't see how the advice given to you in the previous thread changes. What this new information should do for you is give you better insight into why you do certain things and help other people understand too. I make it a point when I meet someone new or work somewhere new to tell people, "hey this is what I got, if I do this just tell me, I lack awareness and I won't be offended if you point it out."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook