Redox reaction for electrolysis of lead acetate solution

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Redox
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
876
Reaction score
1
I am trying to write a redox reaction for Lead (II) Acetate electrolytically becoming Lead Dioxde and Lead at the anode and cathod of an electrotic cell.
I am using the redox reaction of Lead Sulfate in a car battery as a model, but mine doesn't look right.

I am not sure if I need to include the Aceate ion in the reaction or not, since nothing happens to it.

Oxidation : Pb+2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + 4H+(aq) + 2electrons
Reduction: Pb+2(aq) + 2electrons ---> Pb(s)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Redox: 2Pb+2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq)

Does that look right?

Or perhaps with the acetate,
2Pb(C2H3O2)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq) + 2C2H3O2-
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mrjeffy321 said:
Redox: 2Pb+2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq)
Does that look right?
Yes, that's correct.
mrjeffy321 said:
2Pb(C2H3O2)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq) + 2C2H3O2-
2Pb(C2H3O2)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq) + 4C2H3O2-

You could write it like that if you want to, but it's not necessary since the acetate ion is, like you said, a spectator ion.

Let me guess, using PbO2 electrodes for a chlorate cell?
 
Last edited:
Cesium said:
Let me guess, using PbO2 electrodes for a chlorate cell?
How right you are.
well, actually, for a perchlorate cell, which I will also use for chlorate (its the same cell).