Is Mathematica Reliable for Complex Calculations?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter niko2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary: I have put FullSimplify command but it hasn't changed. Anyone knows why?You might want to use an ExpandAll followed by a FullSimplify.
niko2000
Hi,
Recently I was doing some calculations with Mathematica then I did it on paper and the results weren't the same. I am almost sure I didn't make any mistake. I study electrical engineering and we have to do a lot of calculations. I have used Matlab and Mathematica for calculations with symbols. Until now I haven't done much complex calculations with Mathematica. Does anyone know if Mathematica is 100% reliable for every equation or is it only a tool for simple equations?
Regards,
Niko

Physics news on Phys.org
In short, yes, it is correct 100% of the time I would say. If it wasn't there would be no use for it. I use it all the time and it can out-math pretty much anything out there, it is a computer program after all, its job is to do math calculations.

I haven't used Mathematica very much but I've never had Maple screw up and I'd wager Mathematica is quite reliable.

There is a disclaimer though, these programs will be able to reliably perform any computation that you tell them to perform. Make sure you're actually telling it to do what you think you're telling it to do. They aren't free of user error.

Mathematica, MATLAB, and other CA systems will sometimes disagree when doing really, really intensive tensor-calc problems with lots of ODEs. The ODE solvers are not always perfect, but are, well, virtually always right.

If you're doing some simple EE work, and your pencil-and-paper solution doesn't match Mathematica's solution, it's almost surely your error. Check your pencil-and-paper work, then check to make sure you accurately supplied the problem to Mathematica.

- Warren

They wouldn't release it if they knew that it wasn't 100% reliable. Even if it was 99%, I doubt they would.

I think you may have done something wrong when you did it on paper. Double check it.

Thank you.
Maybe the result isn't different but it isn't simplified. I am sure I haven't done any error with my calculations.
Something that also seems strange is that Mathematica gave the result in note like this:
Sqrt[a^2...] I have put FullSimplify command but it hasn't changed. Anyone knows why?

You might want to use an ExpandAll followed by a FullSimplify.

- Warren

It still doesn't work.
I get this result:
Sqrt[a^2*Cosh[x]^2*Sin[y]^2]

Related to Is Mathematica Reliable for Complex Calculations?

1. How reliable is Mathematica for scientific research?

Mathematica is a highly reliable software for scientific research. It has been used by scientists and researchers for over 30 years and has a strong track record of accurately performing complex mathematical and computational tasks. Additionally, it is regularly updated and maintained by a dedicated team to ensure its reliability.

2. Can Mathematica produce accurate results?

Yes, Mathematica is known for producing accurate results. It has been extensively tested and validated by mathematicians, scientists, and engineers, and is widely trusted for its precision and accuracy. However, as with any software, it is important to carefully check and verify the results obtained.

3. Is Mathematica suitable for handling large datasets?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful capabilities for handling and analyzing large datasets. It has efficient algorithms and can handle massive amounts of data without compromising on speed or accuracy. It is also optimized for parallel computing, making it even more efficient for handling large datasets.

4. Can Mathematica handle complex mathematical functions and equations?

Yes, one of the key strengths of Mathematica is its ability to handle complex mathematical functions and equations. It has a vast library of built-in functions and algorithms, as well as the ability to create custom functions, making it extremely versatile for solving complex mathematical problems.

5. Is Mathematica suitable for collaborative research projects?

Yes, Mathematica has features that make it suitable for collaborative research projects. It has a user-friendly interface that allows for easy sharing and collaboration, as well as version control and cloud storage options. Additionally, it has built-in tools for data visualization and presentation, making it a convenient choice for collaborative research projects.