Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remeasurement of a quantum system

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    After making a measurement of a particular dynamical variable the wavefunction collapses into the corresponding eigenfunction. As I understand when the variable is then measured again the results and relative probabilities of eigenvalues are exactly the same as before. I don't understand why they are the same as before. What happens to the wavefunction?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2
    I think it slowly starts spreading out again.
  4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    ok. Why does it spread out though? Is there a reasoning behind why the eigenvalues will be the same when another measurement is made. There was a question in a book that kind of asked for an answer to this but I can't work out why?
  5. Nov 7, 2006 #4
    Information. Start out with a state described by an eigenfunction then apply the propogator to it which describes the time evolution. At a later time the probability of observing some state is proportional to the overlap integral between the initial and final state....to put it simply
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?