Reminiscences: 1976 interview with J.A.Wheeler (friend of Bohr and Einstein)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
24,752
Reaction score
795
http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.4532

In case anyone is interested. John Archibald Wheeler was a a great 20th C physicist (he was Feynman's PhD advisor I think.) He had originality and vision. I'd like to have more links to online sources that have Wheeler remembering people and events of his long career. Please add any good Wheeler stuff if you have some.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
marcus said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.4532

In case anyone is interested. John Archibald Wheeler was a a great 20th C physicist (he was Feynman's PhD advisor I think.) He had originality and vision. I'd like to have more links to online sources that have Wheeler remembering people and events of his long career. Please add any good Wheeler stuff if you have some.

I thought this link to a short article by Anton Zeilinger was an interesting summary of some of Wheeler's ideas. The crux seems to be that what we take to be physical reality is essentially information and that many of the apparent paradoxes of quantum physics have to do with states of information and the way those states are updated. This would suggest that Wheeler took a Bayesian approach in his thinking about these things.

http://www.metanexus.net/ultimate_reality/zeilinger.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator: