1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research methods books used by grad students

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    I can't remember if I already posted this and lost track. Sorry if I did. I'm not sure if this question is "not meant for this forum" but I don't know where else to ask, or where my last post went.

I was looking for recommendations for books and or webpages useful for graduates doing research. Are there books that graduates learn to "do research" from? IE methods for doing literature reviews, etc. I'm mainly interested in doing theoretical research but I need some guidance and my professors are useless.

Most books I've found focus on writing research reports, such as for a class. That's not the scope or style of what I'm interested in. I'm also not interested in experiment design, etc.

Thanks, hopefully I've made what I'm looking for clear. Let me know any suggestions, or if this post belongs somewhere else. Thanks again!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you are referring to a book that will essentially "teach you to do research", I doubt that something like this exists. Even if it does, I don't think it will be relevant.

Every discipline and sub-discipline has it's own way of doing things. The main things you actually learn while doing your PhD is how to handle research by yourself. I like to call the process by which you learn this "academic osmosis", where being in proximity to people who do this kind of work teaches you how given enough time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?