1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemannian Manifolds, John M. Lee

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know what the Asian characters on this book mean? Why are they there?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2
    Dear Professor Lee,

I am writing because I am intriqued by the Chinese characters on the front cover of your book Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature. I saw it on Amazon.com, but the image is too blury for me to read. Can you translate them for me?

Yours,
    Jimmy Snyder

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jimmy,

I think it's the title of the book. That image is from the Chinese edition; but if you order from Amazon.com you'll get the US edition. (Springer contracts with publishers in China to produce inexpensive reproductions of some of its books, in the hope that some people will buy them instead of buying pirated copies.) When I first saw that edition, I asked a Chinese friend what it said, and I'm pretty sure he said it was just the title.

Jack Lee

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook