RIP Harry Lorayne, memory expert and magician

In summary, Harry Lorayne was a magician and a memory master known as the "Yoda of Memory". He passed away at the age of 96. His first book, How To Develop a Super Power Memory, introduced the alpha-numeric code (or "major system") that is still used today. He was known for his ability to remember large amounts of information, including the names of every audience member at his shows. His memory was so impressive that he could even recall the names of people he had just met. Additionally, he was able to memorize facts such as the speed of light, which is only 6 digits long.
Doc Al
Mentor
Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I remember seeing him on TV and was floored by how many people's names and facts he could handle. My memory was limited to 7 digits fortunately for me the speed of light in miles/sec is only 6 digits.

jedishrfu said:
Yes, I remember seeing him on TV and was floored by how many people's names and facts he could handle.
He'd routinely meet and memorize the name of every audience member before the show. Then during the show he'd ask everyone to stand and he'd point to each person and call out their name, having them sit when their name was called. Impressive!
jedishrfu said:
My memory was limited to 7 digits fortunately for me the speed of light in miles/sec is only 6 digits.
Ha! :biggrin:

jedishrfu said:
Yes, I remember seeing him on TV and was floored by how many people's names and facts he could handle. My memory was limited to 7 digits fortunately for me the speed of light in miles/sec is only 6 digits.
c = 1 Planck length per Planck second.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu

1. Who was Harry Lorayne?

Harry Lorayne was a renowned memory expert and magician who passed away on May 5, 2020 at the age of 96. He was known for his incredible memory techniques and his contributions to the field of magic.

2. What were some of Harry Lorayne's achievements?

Harry Lorayne was the author of over 40 books on memory improvement and magic, including the best-selling book "The Memory Book". He also appeared on numerous television shows and performed for audiences all over the world.

3. How did Harry Lorayne become a memory expert?

Harry Lorayne developed his memory techniques through years of practice and experimentation. He was inspired by the ancient Greek mnemonic techniques and adapted them to suit modern needs.

4. What made Harry Lorayne's memory techniques unique?

Harry Lorayne's memory techniques were unique because they focused on using visual and imaginative associations to remember information. This made his methods more fun and effective compared to traditional rote memorization techniques.

5. What was Harry Lorayne's impact on the world of magic and memory improvement?

Harry Lorayne's impact on the world of magic and memory improvement was significant. He not only inspired many other magicians and memory experts, but also helped countless individuals improve their memory and learning abilities through his books and teachings.