RIP Jerry Lewis, Comedian and Filmmaker, 91

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rip
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Jerry Lewis, Mercurial Comedian and Filmmaker, Dies at 91

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/jerry-lewis-mercurial-comedian-and-filmmaker-dies-at-91/ar-AAqoPlB

Mr. Lewis knew success in movies, on television, in nightclubs, on the Broadway stage and in the university lecture hall. His career had its ups and downs, but when it was at its zenith there were few stars any bigger. And he got there remarkably quickly.

Barely out of his teens, he shot to fame shortly after World War II with a nightclub act in which the rakish, imperturbable Dean Martin crooned and the skinny, hyperactive Mr. Lewis capered around the stage, a dangerously volatile id to Mr. Martin’s supremely relaxed ego.

After his break with Mr. Martin in 1956, Mr. Lewis went on to a successful solo career, eventually writing, producing and directing many of his own films.
I enjoyed Lewis's movies with Dean Martin.
 
I couldn't decide whether to start a new thread so I had posted this in Random Thought. Now that it has a natural habitat, I moved it in here. Therefore posts #1 and #2 are somehow in wrong order.
 
Astronuc said:
Jerry Lewis, Mercurial Comedian and Filmmaker, Dies at 91

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/jerry-lewis-mercurial-comedian-and-filmmaker-dies-at-91/ar-AAqoPlB

I enjoyed Lewis's movies with Dean Martin.
Me too.

Martin: Jerry, doesn't that cop over there look great in his uniform?
Lewis: Yeah, I'd sure like to be a cop.
Martin: You could be a cop
Lewis: Nah, to be a cop you've got to have a billy club
Martin: We could get you a billy club
Lewis: Yeah, but to be a cop you've got to have uniform
Martin: We could get you a uniform
Lewis: Yeah, but to be a cop you've got to be smart
Martin: (pause) ... We could get you a uniform

That's probably not nearly verbatim but it's been about 60 years since I saw it so ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: epenguin and fresh_42
I remember some funny sunday afternoons ... and I always liked the scene in my link above.