RIP Jerry Lewis, Comedian and Filmmaker, 91

• News
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Mr. Lewis was a successful comedian, actor, filmmaker, and lecturer. He was known for his collaborations with Dean Martin, and his movies are still enjoyed today. He passed away at 91 years old.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
R.I.P. Jerry!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jerry Lewis, Mercurial Comedian and Filmmaker, Dies at 91

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/jerry-lewis-mercurial-comedian-and-filmmaker-dies-at-91/ar-AAqoPlB

Mr. Lewis knew success in movies, on television, in nightclubs, on the Broadway stage and in the university lecture hall. His career had its ups and downs, but when it was at its zenith there were few stars any bigger. And he got there remarkably quickly.

Barely out of his teens, he shot to fame shortly after World War II with a nightclub act in which the rakish, imperturbable Dean Martin crooned and the skinny, hyperactive Mr. Lewis capered around the stage, a dangerously volatile id to Mr. Martin’s supremely relaxed ego.

After his break with Mr. Martin in 1956, Mr. Lewis went on to a successful solo career, eventually writing, producing and directing many of his own films.
I enjoyed Lewis's movies with Dean Martin.

I couldn't decide whether to start a new thread so I had posted this in Random Thought. Now that it has a natural habitat, I moved it in here. Therefore posts #1 and #2 are somehow in wrong order.

May he rest in peace.

Astronuc said:
Jerry Lewis, Mercurial Comedian and Filmmaker, Dies at 91

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/jerry-lewis-mercurial-comedian-and-filmmaker-dies-at-91/ar-AAqoPlB

I enjoyed Lewis's movies with Dean Martin.
Me too.

Martin: Jerry, doesn't that cop over there look great in his uniform?
Lewis: Yeah, I'd sure like to be a cop.
Martin: You could be a cop
Lewis: Nah, to be a cop you've got to have a billy club
Martin: We could get you a billy club
Lewis: Yeah, but to be a cop you've got to have uniform
Martin: We could get you a uniform
Lewis: Yeah, but to be a cop you've got to be smart
Martin: (pause) ... We could get you a uniform

That's probably not nearly verbatim but it's been about 60 years since I saw it so ...

Likes epenguin and fresh_42
I remember some funny sunday afternoons ... and I always liked the scene in my link above.

1. Who was Jerry Lewis?

Jerry Lewis was an American comedian, actor, singer, filmmaker, and humanitarian. He rose to fame in the 1940s as part of the comedy duo, Martin and Lewis, with Dean Martin. He went on to have a successful solo career in film, television, and stage.

2. How did Jerry Lewis die?

Jerry Lewis passed away on August 20, 2017, at the age of 91 due to natural causes. He had a long history of heart disease and other health issues, including pulmonary fibrosis.

3. What are some of Jerry Lewis's most famous films?

Jerry Lewis starred in and directed numerous films throughout his career, including "The Nutty Professor," "The Bellboy," "Cinderfella," and "The Disorderly Orderly." He also appeared in several Martin and Lewis films, such as "The Caddy" and "Hollywood or Bust."

4. How did Jerry Lewis contribute to the entertainment industry?

Jerry Lewis is widely recognized for his contributions to the entertainment industry. He was a talented comedian, actor, and director who left a lasting impact on comedy and film. He also helped raise billions of dollars for the Muscular Dystrophy Association through his annual Labor Day telethon.

5. What is Jerry Lewis's legacy?

Jerry Lewis will be remembered as one of the greatest comedians and filmmakers of all time. His unique brand of physical comedy and his humanitarian efforts have left a lasting impact on both the entertainment industry and society as a whole.