RIP Nobel Laureate Philip Warren Anderson

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
It doesn't seem anyone had mentioned this, but the great physicist Philip Warren Anderson, who won the 1977 Nobel Prize for his investigations in the electronic structure of magnetic and disordered systems, and who has made contributions particle physics, emergent phenomena, among many other areas of physics, as well as co-founding the Santa Fe Institute, has just recently passed away, at the age of 96.

RIP.

Likes Haborix, Doc Al, DrClaude and 1 other person

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It doesn't seem anyone had mentioned this, but the great physicist Philip Warren Anderson, who won the 1977 Nobel Prize for his investigations in the electronic structure of magnetic and disordered systems, and who has made contributions particle physics, emergent phenomena, among many other areas of physics, as well as co-founding the Santa Fe Institute, has just recently passed away, at the age of 96.

RIP.

His work was also the impetus for the Higgs mechanism.

Zz.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff and StatGuy2000
julian
Gold Member
My PhD supervisor (From Russia) said Anderson was a god in his field, and that if Landau was the greatest condensed matter physicist of the first half of the 20th century and that Anderson was the greatest of the second half, but more prolific. The sentiment shared by everybody at our condensed matter group.

Haborix
Anderson's work was an important part of the expansion of my worldview as a physicist. My initial studies (probably interacting with my own proclivities) turned me into a rigid (redundant?) reductionist. Eventually I learned the lesson, more is different. Here's to the greats who provide us the opportunity to be more than we are!

Suggested for: RIP Nobel Laureate Philip Warren Anderson

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views