Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rope ascension using stored spring energy

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    Just looked at a video of the atlas rope ascender (google it) and thought it was pretty cool. However, I feel as though using a more "capacitive" approach and taking advantage of the fact that ascensions would not occur frequently could allow for the use of a system that slowly recharges over time, either using capacitors or stored mechanical energy (springs). Unless I am missing something, I imagine capacitors would require large DC motors still. Going to a small, light system, are there any torsion springs that can store large amounts of continuous energy, possibly put some in series or parallel. Essentially, like a huge watch spring able to output ~500-1500 watts for a few seconds.

Some target specs:
    350 lbs at 5 ft/s ~ 300 watts, but this seems questionably low to me. If this is right, at 50% efficiency, I imagine 600 watts would be an absolute minimum.

Shooting for 50 feet, 10 seconds * 300 watts = 3 kJ of energy. Is this even ballpark feasible?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    jgeating,

Your power conversion is incorrect:

1 HP = 550 ft*lbf/s
    1 HP = 746 watts

350 lbf at 5 ft/s
    = 1750 ft*lbf/s
    = 3.18 HP
    = 2370 watts

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    yeah, that did seam really low, and I did it really quickly. After doing a little more research, it really just doesn't seem that feasible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook