Roy Scheider, Heroic Star of Jaws, Dies at 75

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, actor Roy Scheider, best known for his role as the heroic police chief in the 1975 movie "Jaws," passed away at the age of 75. He was also known for his roles in "SeaQuest," "The French Connection," and "Blue Thunder." Despite some initial discomfort with his character's actions in "Blue Thunder," Scheider's performance was praised, and he is remembered for his iconic line, "You're going to need a bigger boat."
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Roy Scheider, best known for his role as the heroic police chief in classic 1975 movie "Jaws," died on Sunday aged 75, hospital officials confirmed. [continued]
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iSzZFa5cFSU66ruuJCXNSmkwL4TA

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The French Connection was one of the first "grown-up" films I saw. He was great in that movie, and of course Jaws! RIP Mr Scheider.

I always liked Scheider. He has kind eyes.

The first R-rated film I ever saw in the theater was Blue Thunder. I remember sitting in my seat next to my mom and her friend. I was eating popcorn and drinking my dsoda and feeling very guilty about watching Scheider spy on a woman in her high-rise hotel room. I would have been much less uncomfortable if my mother wasn't there.

Thanks Scheider

"You're going to need a bigger boat."

Best line in the series.

Tom Mattson said:
"You're going to need a bigger boat."

Best line in the series.

LOL, that was a great line!

I thought he was already dead.

1. What was the cause of Roy Scheider's death?

Roy Scheider passed away on February 10, 2008 due to complications from multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer.

2. How old was Roy Scheider when he died?

Roy Scheider was 75 years old when he passed away.

3. What was Roy Scheider most famous for?

Roy Scheider was best known for his role as Police Chief Martin Brody in the movie "Jaws" and its sequels.

4. Did Roy Scheider have any other notable roles?

Yes, Roy Scheider had a long and successful acting career, with roles in popular movies such as "The French Connection," "All That Jazz," and "Marathon Man."

5. How did the public and his colleagues react to Roy Scheider's death?

Many people in the entertainment industry and fans of Roy Scheider expressed their condolences and praised his talent and contributions to film. The American Film Institute also paid tribute to him at their annual film festival.