Second undergraduate or master/phd

• Programs
  • Thread starter sirownsalot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergraduate
In summary, The speaker is currently pursuing a BA in Industrial Engineering in Peru, but has realized it is not the right field for them. They are considering going back in time to study mechanical, electrical, chemical engineering, or something related to genetics. After graduation, they would like to study in a first world country, either through a master's or PhD program or by completing a second undergraduate degree. They are 22 years old and have excellent grades.
sirownsalot
Hi, in 1 year i will graduate with a BA in Industrial engineering from a university in Peru. Unfortunately i have realized that I.E is not really for me.
If i could go back in time, i would of studied either mechanical or electrical or chemical engineering or something to do with genetics.

So after i graduate i want to study something related to any of those fields mentioned above.

i don't know if i could work myself into a master or a phd program, or if i would have to do a second undergraduate.

i would like to study in a first world country.
I will be 22 years when i graduate
i have really excellent grades (i would say i am at least in the top 5% of my colleague)

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether or not you can get into an ME/EE/CE graduate program will depend on the institutions you apply to and your ability to convince them that your undergraduate course of study applies to any of those fields to the necessary level.

Otherwise you'll probably need to go back through undergraduate in any of those fields.

FAQ: Second undergraduate or master/phd

1. What is the difference between a second undergraduate degree and a master's/PhD program?

A second undergraduate degree is an additional bachelor's degree in a different field of study, while a master's/PhD program is a graduate-level program that focuses on a specific area of study and involves original research.

2. Can I pursue a second undergraduate degree in a different field from my first degree?

Yes, you can pursue a second undergraduate degree in a different field from your first degree. However, some universities may have specific requirements or prerequisites for admission into a second undergraduate program.

3. How long does it take to complete a second undergraduate degree compared to a master's/PhD program?

A second undergraduate degree typically takes 2-3 years to complete, while a master's program can take 1-2 years and a PhD program can take 3-5 years. The length of time also depends on the specific program and the individual's pace of study.

4. Can I transfer credits from my first undergraduate degree towards a second undergraduate degree or a master's/PhD program?

It is possible to transfer credits from your first degree towards a second undergraduate degree, but it may not be possible for a master's or PhD program. Each university and program has its own transfer credit policies, so it is best to check with the specific institution.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a second undergraduate degree compared to a master's/PhD program?

A second undergraduate degree allows for a broad range of knowledge and skills in different fields, while a master's/PhD program allows for specialization and in-depth understanding of a specific subject. Additionally, a second undergraduate degree may be more suitable for those seeking a career change, while a master's/PhD program may be more beneficial for those seeking a career in research or academia.