Second year Physics student reading list questions

• Thread starter jqmhelios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the individual has completed their first year at Warwick and has secured two internships for the summer. They have also been reviewing the reading lists for the upcoming year, which includes courses such as Statistical mechanics, Electromagnetic theory, Optics, Hamiltonian mechanics, Fluid dynamics, and Quantum mechanics. They are particularly interested in the best textbooks for these subjects, especially for electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. They mention that they are currently studying Lagrangian mechanics for their first internship and have found the book on the reading list to be difficult to follow. They recommend using Landau and Lifshitz volume 1 instead. They also suggest looking into undergraduate textbooks such as Marion and Griffiths, as well as the textbooks used at their
jqmhelios
I'm now moving on to my second year at Warwick and have ended up with 2 internships this summer. I've also been looking at the subject reading lists. I will be taking Statistical mechanics, Electromagnetic theory, Optics, Hamiltonian mechanics, Fluid dynamics, Quantum mechanics, among others which I am better prepared for.

Which are the best and most recommended textbooks for these subjects, especially electromagnetism and quantum mechanics?

For instance I'm preparing for my 1st internship by studying Lagrangian mechanics, but the book in the reading lists is enormously complicated and, I think, very difficult to follow (Goldstein). I have found Landau and Lifshitz volume 1 to be much more accessible. Will volume 2 of that work for electromagnetism (currently my favourite module)?

Physics news on Phys.org
These are graduate level texts. Marion (and the recent versions with Thornton) is a standard undergraduate text that covers Lagrangians. Griffiths is typical undergrad E&M text. Even better, look at the texts you will be using at your university.

Last edited:

1. What topics are typically covered in a second year physics student reading list?

The specific topics covered in a second year physics student reading list can vary depending on the university or program. However, some common topics may include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics.

2. How can I effectively study and understand the material on the reading list?

To effectively study and understand the material on the reading list, it is important to attend lectures and take thorough notes. Additionally, practice problems and working through examples can help solidify understanding. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and review the material.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for the second year physics student reading list?

Again, the specific textbooks recommended may vary depending on the university or program. However, some commonly used textbooks for second year physics students include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths.

4. How can I stay organized and keep up with the readings on the list?

One way to stay organized is to create a schedule and set aside specific times for reading and studying. It can also be helpful to break up the readings into smaller sections and set goals for each session. Additionally, taking notes and summarizing the material can aid in retention and understanding.

5. Are there any additional resources or materials that can supplement the reading list?

Yes, there are many additional resources and materials that can supplement the reading list. Some examples include online lecture videos, practice problems and solutions, and study guides. It can also be beneficial to attend office hours or seek out a tutor for extra help and clarification on difficult concepts.