Seeing the Martian moons with a pair of $60 binoculars

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alltimegreat1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moons Pair
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Alltimegreat1
Messages
115
Reaction score
5
Is it possible?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not a chance, sorry. They're extremely tiny and orbit very close to Mars. Even with a large telescope you probably wouldn't be able to see them. Perhaps with some long CCD exposures and some software you might be able to get Deimos in an image.
 
Alltimegreat1 said:
Is it possible?
The law of diffraction provides the answer based on your optics diameter - and it is negative
 
Jovian moons are worth going for, though. Very impressive, for some reason. I guess it's because they are probably the first thing you see with your Real Astronomer's hat on.
 
I once modified an eyepiece with an occulting bar. It's a piece of wire threaded across the diameter of the eyepiece at the focal point. I tried it on a rather large telescope (24 in?) in Sonoma county under a dark moonless night while Mars was at opposition. The occulting bar was used to block Mars so perhaps the moons would be visible.

I couldn't see them. But others in our group claimed they could. I asked them to sketch what they saw. Later, I looked up where the moons should have been at that time. It matched their observations.