Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Seeing the Martian moons with a pair of $60 binoculars

1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
    Is it possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2
    Not a chance, sorry. They're extremely tiny and orbit very close to Mars. Even with a large telescope you probably wouldn't be able to see them. Perhaps with some long CCD exposures and some software you might be able to get Deimos in an image.

4. Jul 6, 2016 #3

DrSteve

Gold Member

The law of diffraction provides the answer based on your optics diameter - and it is negative

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jovian moons are worth going for, though. Very impressive, for some reason. I guess it's because they are probably the first thing you see with your Real Astronomer's hat on.

6. Jul 11, 2016 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once modified an eyepiece with an occulting bar. It's a piece of wire threaded across the diameter of the eyepiece at the focal point. I tried it on a rather large telescope (24 in?) in Sonoma county under a dark moonless night while Mars was at opposition. The occulting bar was used to block Mars so perhaps the moons would be visible.

I couldn't see them. But others in our group claimed they could. I asked them to sketch what they saw. Later, I looked up where the moons should have been at that time. It matched their observations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted