Seeing the Martian moons with a pair of $60 binoculars

Is it possible?

Answers and Replies

Not a chance, sorry. They're extremely tiny and orbit very close to Mars. Even with a large telescope you probably wouldn't be able to see them. Perhaps with some long CCD exposures and some software you might be able to get Deimos in an image.

DrSteve
Gold Member
Is it possible?
The law of diffraction provides the answer based on your optics diameter - and it is negative

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Jovian moons are worth going for, though. Very impressive, for some reason. I guess it's because they are probably the first thing you see with your Real Astronomer's hat on.

tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I once modified an eyepiece with an occulting bar. It's a piece of wire threaded across the diameter of the eyepiece at the focal point. I tried it on a rather large telescope (24 in?) in Sonoma county under a dark moonless night while Mars was at opposition. The occulting bar was used to block Mars so perhaps the moons would be visible.

I couldn't see them. But others in our group claimed they could. I asked them to sketch what they saw. Later, I looked up where the moons should have been at that time. It matched their observations.