Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeing the raiders lose makes me smile

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I really don't care for football even though I like watching it. I'm also from California.

Now, I was walking by downstairs and the TV was on. The raiders were losing 17-0. For some reason, I couldn't help but smiling and felt my heart warm at the prospects of the raiders losing.

Is there anyone else here in California who doesn't watch football yet still has their day brightened by hearing something bad about the Raiders?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Please Lord. PF is the last bastion I have where sports hasn't invaded. Let it stay that way.

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

HOLY CRAP SPORTS!!!

banner_sports.gif

teehee

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

6. Aug 20, 2011 #5
    I'm not from California but enjoy seeing the Raiders lose just the same.

7. Aug 20, 2011 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Raiders is my favourite movie. Those Lost Raiders. With the Ark.

8. Aug 20, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

FOOTBALL!!!

teehee

9. Aug 21, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ban peng!!!!

10. Aug 22, 2011 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm from Colorado and hearing something bad about the raiders definitely brightens my day.

And, by the way, one of the changes for the 2011 NFL season is that 'raiders' is now printed in all lower case letters. While this might seem a strange change to make, it's not nearly as bizarre as the changes in college football, where the Big-12 will now have 10 teams and the Big-10 will now have 12 teams.

And not nearly as strange as people in Florida yelling "We want Orton" whenever Chad Henne throws a pass and people in Colorado yelling "We want Tebow" whenever Kyle Orton throws a pass. But at least there's a little sanity - no one yells, "We want Leinart".

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  11. Aug 22, 2011 #10

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Well, actually, it was the "Ark" that was "Lost." The "Raiders" themselves seemed to be quite geographically aware at most times; at the very least, they were exceptional at following directions. The "Ark" on the other hand was constantly being misplaced. I would hardly call it "Lost" but, still, the lexicography is loose and usage here is not manifestly wrong.

Had the movie been about "The Lost Raiders of the Ark" I think we would have seen a very different story unfold.

IndyMap.jpg
    (Source: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/1729272/travel_the_world_with_indiana_jones/ [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  12. Aug 22, 2011 #11
    Why dont you like the Raiders?

Do you not like the Raiders, or just hate Al Davis? There is a difference.

Though they did just select Terrelle Pryor. I am an avid Raider fan, but Al Davis needs to die already...

13. Aug 22, 2011 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting choice. He was suspended for 5 games in the NFL before even being drafted - i.e. before he even joined the NFL.

Essentially suspended for trading autographs for tattoos (although the official reason was for 'illegally' circumventing the NFL draft). At about a third of his 2011 salary, those were $110,000 tattoos - and trading autographs for tattoos isn't even against NFL rules.

14. Aug 22, 2011 #13
    I would like to see the Seahawks do well.

15. Aug 22, 2011 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hate the raiders fans!! Beyond statistically 85% of them being criminals, they're so annoying when they lose or win. When they lose, they let everyone know that it was because of A excuse, B excuse, and C excuse, even people that don't give a rats *** about football. Then when they win.... well, actually it's been a while, I forgot what they do.

16. Aug 22, 2011 #15

turbo

Gold Member

I have never been a fan of team sports, but I have to admit to feeling a bit glad when Steinbrenner's "best team that money can buy" lost individual games or entire series.

17. Aug 22, 2011 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He wasn't able to buy the Cleveland Indians!

Well, actually, maybe that didn't turn out so well for the Indians, seeing as how they were lousy for another 20 years after he failed to buy them while the Yankees went to the World Series 11 times when Steinbrunner owned them.

18. Aug 22, 2011 #17
    I would like to see a citation there.

And of course there are excuses. Every fan for every team makes excuses....

This comes from a raider fan though.

19. Aug 22, 2011 #18
    All I have to say is
    Oakland-Raiders-Logo.gif

20. Aug 22, 2011 #19
    I don't think a citation is needed here. It's just that well known!

21. Aug 22, 2011 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HeliXe's post says it all. The eye patch; the daggers - precisely the type of symbols that appeal to the criminal element.

And if you've ever heard a California valley girl try to talk like a pirate, you'd know that's definitely a crime.

And just look at raiders fans: raiders fans

The mother and child picture is really touching. I'm not sure whether to shed a tear or be totally freaked out. One thing I've noticed about how hard it is to bear being a raiders fan - they have to bring the skeletons of past raiders fans for emotional support.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook