Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seems like all Brits will be wind powered soon

1. Dec 10, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/dec/10/politics

Thousands of new off-shore wind turbines could power every home in Britain by 2020, the government will say today, as it announces new wind energy plans.

John Hutton, the secretary of state for business, enterprise and regulatory reform, will propose the creation of up to 33 gigawatts of offshore wind energy at a European energy industry conference in Berlin.

He will call for companies to invest in large-scale farm development to generate enough power for up to 25 million homes in the next 12 years.

That would require around 7,000 turbines, or one every half-mile, Hutton told the BBC1 Politics Show yesterday. He admitted that "tough choices" would have to be made if the UK wanted to respond to climate change and become more self-sufficient.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wish they'd augment it with building regulations requiring all new buildings to have solar panels or something like that. Every building has a roof so why waste space.

4. Dec 10, 2007 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After reading the title, I thought this thread would be about feeding all Brits a steady diet of Cornish pasties.

5. Dec 10, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you think powers the turbines?

6. Dec 10, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

One of my cleaver ploys.

7. Dec 10, 2007 #6
    Ya tricked me too Wolly..lol

I wish the UK all the success for the new turbines, I think its a great idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?