1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Studying Math (Geometry through Calculus)

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    Hi I was wondering how long it would take to self study math using Khan Academy and supplement the website with a self teach book from Geometry through Calculus. I am a sophomore in high school and I am hoping to take the CLEP exams for Calculus and College Algebra after senior year. I was wondering if it would take a couple months or what and if anybody else did something similar to this, also some suggestions would be helpful. Also lets say I study about 10 hours a week. Thank you much!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Estimates if learning goes well:
    Geometry, 6 months minimum
    Trigonometry, 4 months
    Intermediate Algebra, 4 months
    College Algebra or Pre-Calculus, 4 months
    Calculus 1, 4 months

Total estimated time: 22 months, or about 2 years.

A good, standard textbook is needed for each course. College level, and community college books are fine, even if you are a high school student. You need though to take care of prerequisites, and do the courses about in the order listed. The "Intermediate Algebra" is listed out-of-place, and should come either before or after Geometry.

You need to be very determined and motivated to study this on your own. The effort will require studying every day, and you must be willing to review more than once.

4. Oct 1, 2015 #3
    Thankyou so much symbolipoint for responding. I do have a few more questions. How many hours a day do you suggest I study a day, and is there any possible way that I could reduce this time because that is very daunting 22 months:smile::smile:.

5. Oct 1, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Do as much study as necessary to learn . Maybe you will need less than 22 months. Maybe you will need more than 22 months. You wouldn't know until you do the study and learning that you do.

6. Oct 2, 2015 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

As an aside, why're you trying to take CLEP exams? They aren't often accepted for credit at universities. Self studying math to self study math is in itself fine, but I'm hoping you aren't betting on actually earning college credits from these CLEP exams.

7. Oct 4, 2015 #6
    Hi Student100, the college that I would like to go to does in fact accept CLEP exams I looked on the colleges website. I also would like to self study just for the beauty of it to, and what method of sen study would you do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook