Setting up partial fractions for x^4-2x^3+x^2+2x-1 divided by x^2-2x+1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Jbreezy
Messages
582
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Write out the form of the partial fraction decomposition of not determine the numerical values of the coefficients.

Homework Equations



x^4 -2x^3 + x^2 +2x -1 / x^2 -2x +1


The Attempt at a Solution



I did the division and I got x^2 + ((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1)

So I took
((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1) = Ax + B / x^2 -2x +1

Is this right? It has been forever since I did these.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement



Write out the form of the partial fraction decomposition of not determine the numerical values of the coefficients.

Homework Equations



x^4 -2x^3 + x^2 +2x -1 / x^2 -2x +1


The Attempt at a Solution



I did the division and I got x^2 + ((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1)

So I took
((2x-1)) / (x^2 -2x +1) = Ax + B / x^2 -2x +1

Is this right? It has been forever since I did these.

It's right, but it's not a complete partial fraction expansion. x^2-2x+1 factors into (x-1)(x-1). Review partial fractions.