Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shape preserving fitting algorithms

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Shape preserving" fitting algorithms

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "shape preserving" fitting algorithm?

Now and then I run into the following problem: I have a set of rapidly varying data and try to fit it using an equation with e.g. 5 unknowns; I know that I can make it fit "by hand" (basically trial and error). However, when I try to fit it I often get that the solution is e.g. a straight line through the data; simply because it is a "good" solution in the least-square sense(although it doesn't make much sense from physical point of view). The wiki on the MLA even shows one example of this.

I can obviously get it to fit if I start with a "good" guess but that sort of defies the purpose of automatic fitting (and I often need to fit hundreds of experimental curves and sometimes in "real time" so doing it by hand is not really an option).
    I understand that the problem is -there are several minima and the fitting algorithms finds the "wrong one" unless the initial conditions are close to the real solution- but I don't know how to solve it.
    Presumably this is well-known problem, but I haven't been able to find a reference where they discuss possible solutions.

Is there any way of adding "shape preservation" to e.g. the MLA? E.g. by somehow adding that the condition for a "best fit" is that also the derivatives fit reasonably well?

Or are there any other possible solutions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2
    Re: "Shape preserving" fitting algorithms

What is the form of the equation with 5 unknowns?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?