1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Sheldon Axler's Algebra and Trig/Precalculus for proofs?

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1
    Can someone tell me if Axler's texts use proofs? I'm looking for a book that teaches proofs at the high school level. Something other than a geometry text.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2
    So, I found my own answer on the Axler texts. Other recommendations are welcome.

4. Feb 23, 2016 #3
    I don't think there are 'high school level proof'. When I was in HS I trimmed through the Book of Proof. Then, I picked up a set theory book and worked through the various proofs (someone from PF suggested it) and it really was great. I can't say my proofwriting is perfect, but I know the basics well enough to work through Axler's LA and Abbott's Analysis in my first year of undergrad. Velleman also wrote a book on proofs but in my opinion, Book of Proof is straight up better.

5. Feb 23, 2016 #4
    If you would like to build a proof skill from the pre-calculus books, I recommend "Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley. It starts with the basic logic and proof strategies, and treats the pre calculus topics (algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and basic probability) in a friendly, clear manner. The book is old, so you can find a used copy at very reasonable price.

Another book I recommend as a "high-school proof" is Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics, which treats the pre-calculus topics very rigorously. I personally like Allendoerfer/Oakley, but both books are great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted