Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shiny black nail polish to matte black

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    If you polish your nails black and then hold them over hot steam they turn from shiny black to matte black. Why do you guys think it does that?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2
    With only that to go on, I'd say surface erosion that scatters the reflected light.

4. Nov 27, 2014 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How long does the effect last? Is it permanent?

If temporary, then all that's happening is vapour
    is condensing on your mails in tiny droplets.

If long-term, I would posit that your mails are absorbing moisture (and possibly the polish as well), causing them to expand, and destroying the mirror polish. I'm not sure whether - once the moisture off-gasses and returns to dry - the gloss would return.

[EDIT]

A bit of Googling indicates that matte nails are a big trend these days. That suggests the effect is permanent (or it would be useless).

So, yes, steam heats the polish and then mixes moisture with it (the words 'bubble-up' and 'smudge' were invoked), interferes with the glossiness that you get when first laying down the polish and letting it dry.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  5. Nov 27, 2014 #4

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know. Matte top coat tends to go shiny (well, less matte) after a few days due to wear.

Comments I never thought I'd make on PF!

6. Nov 27, 2014 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You'n'me both! :w

Just glad no one was peering over my shoulder while I browsed the WikiHow '47 ways to apply nail-polish for that sexy look'.

7. Nov 27, 2014 #6

Danger

Gold Member

What makes you think that no one was? :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook