I live at home, so I don’t really have any expenses and it allows me to save a Ton of money from work. My parents pay for school, but I try to help out by buying my own books (which end up being around $600 bucks each semester, ouch!).
That’s the reason why I’m flying and bought a new bike. I saved that money from working throughout college. There are things I don’t mind paying top dollar for though (bikes, motorcycles, airplanes, RC airplanes) because I learn how they work, how to operate them, get to use them all the time.
But there are some things I don’t like buying and complain about. I don’t care for jewelry (other than buying a class ring, as an accomplishment). I don't wear a watch unless I have to dress up and use the one my grandfather gave me (a simple black band swiss watch). I don’t buy CD's that often. I have about as many movies or DVDs as fingers. ( I don’t download them off the net, if I want a song Ill buy it from I-tunes for $0.99). I don’t supped-up my car and put rims on it, or other obnoxious stuff people do around here.
I don’t believe in putting money in a bank and letting it sit there. It’s useless. The interest is peanuts. Hopefully if I get into grad school they will pay me $30k a year, so when I graduate I will come out with around $50k. Either I can use that as a down payment on a house or I can buy a used Cessna or something. But I don’t want to buy something like a new car with it. Honestly, buying a house with it would be the smartest move.
My school is only about $4,500 a semester, so its not that bad considering that you can put that on your taxes. I am glad I don't go to a private school that would have cost me almost $20-30k a year. Not worth it IMO.
Im not married, don't have kids, don't have cost of living, and I don't give people expensive gifts or any gifts (and I don't want gifts in return, just give me a card at *most*). I think I spend my money in a smart way.