Should i take the general GRE again ?

In summary, the speaker is a MSc Physics student in India who will be applying to US graduate schools for a Phd in the fall 2012 semester. They recently took the general GRE and were not satisfied with their score. They plan on taking the TOEFL this summer and the Physics GRE in November. The speaker is wondering if they should retake the general GRE due to changes taking place in August and if there is a cutoff for GRE scores that universities consider. They are relieved to hear that most physics departments do not place much importance on the general GRE and plan on focusing on the Physics GRE for their studies. They are grateful for the advice given by the other speaker."
radhikak
I will be applying to US uni grad schools for a Phd for the fall 2012 semester. I just took my general GRE and am not happy with my score-verbal 520 and quant 760. I will be taking the TOEFL this summer and the Physics GRE in November. Should i take the general GRE again?
The GRE is changing in august and i am wondering how that will affect.
Also is there a cutoff for GRE scores that uni"s apply when looking at applications?
PS: I am a MSc Physics student in India.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most physics departments don't care in the least about the general GRE. Uusually, the graduate school requires it for all applicants, regardless of whether the department uses the score for anything.

Physics departments care much, much more about the Physics GRE. I would focus my studying on that test if I were you.

Many thanks GO 1.! Thats a load off my mind!

What is the purpose of the general GRE?

The general GRE, or Graduate Record Examination, is a standardized test used for admission to graduate and business schools. It assesses verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

Why should I consider retaking the general GRE?

Retaking the general GRE may be beneficial if you did not achieve your desired score the first time, or if you want to improve your chances of admission to highly competitive programs. It can also help to demonstrate academic growth and improvement.

How often can I take the general GRE?

You can take the general GRE once every 21 days, up to five times within a continuous 12-month period. However, it is recommended to leave enough time between each attempt to study and improve your skills.

Are there any downsides to retaking the general GRE?

There are a few potential downsides to retaking the general GRE. These include the cost of the exam, as well as the time and effort required to study and retake the test. Additionally, some schools may average your scores if you take the test multiple times, rather than just considering your highest score.

What steps can I take to improve my score on the general GRE?

To improve your score on the general GRE, it is important to identify your areas of weakness and focus on improving them. This can include practicing with sample questions, studying vocabulary words, and taking mock exams. Additionally, working with a tutor or enrolling in a test prep course can also be helpful.