Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplest Understanding of the Universe

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    I'm not smart and know nothing of cosmology or physics but I seek an understanding of reality. I'm looking for the simplest explanation for the universe I can find so that I actually understand it. Is the following factual at all?

The universe is constantly changing physical matter and energy.

This matter and energy occupies space and changes over time.

Therefore, the universe is matter/energy occupying space/time.

However, sometimes the matter and energy that we perceive appears to exist in a non-random form.

This is illustrated by the sight of a whole spiral galaxy.

To explain this phenomenon, we created the physical/scientific laws of the universe.

Therefore, the overall universe, as far as we currently know, is the following:

Physical matter/energy occupying space/time subject to natural physical/scientific laws.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

I wouldn't say we "create" physical law. The universe behaves as it does and we observe it. It *tells* us what the laws are.

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    Right, but we created the analytic statements via language which we think best describe how the universe seems to behave through our observation.

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4
    This will be difficult (probably impossible) since even very very smart people with decades of training and experience in physics and cosmology don't claim to understand our universe ('reality').

If you just want "an understanding" of reality, then that's easy ... everybody has that. It's what enables you to successfully navigate the world of your experience. However if you want to "actually understand" reality in some sort of generalized objective sense, then, afaik, nobody has that (though lots of talented people are working on it). The thing is that, apparently, there's lots of stuff going on outside of, or underlying and fundamental wrt, our direct and instrumentally augmented sensory apprehension of our universe (of reality).

Nevertheless, you can learn (at least some of ... maybe a lot of) what cosmologists and astrophysicists and physicists have learned and have to say about our universe.

You might make it a hobby to read stuff posted at PF and similar sites. Read some textbooks. Read some journal articles. Etc. If you stick with it, then you'll be increasingly fascinated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook