1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating hair physics

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    Hi, I'd like to ask some help and suggestions about simulating hair physics (so basically pulling hair vertices around, and smoothly disposing the adjacent ones).

Please take a look at the embedded video (which shows an application tha can do it): the hair displayed there is made of 15 vertices; once the user drags the active vertices (those inside the circular cursor area), all the hair vertices are moved and repositioned accordingly. To notice that hair length remain the same during the process.

Thanks for any help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4sa_vXBRg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2
    Sorry, I had troubles embedding the YT movie, now it's there.

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3
    suggestions. you're going to need to model whatever it is that makes the hair stand up on end again, after being pushed down. elasticity? stiffness? i don't know what it's called. but generally, your video shows hair behaving like a string of dough, which doesn't seem authentic. usually if you push the middle of a hair to the side, the top will bend with it, and the whole thing will just bend at the point of contact. of course that depends on how long it is.

5. Dec 20, 2011 #4
    It basically looks like a Bezier manipulation of a line to adjust the curves. Try out any program that has Bezier curve shaping, and you will see the same effect, although the length of the line or hair would not stay the same in most programs.

Whether or not a hair will behave like that, is beyond my knowledge of the physics of hair. But if a hair is being manipulated in a viscous fluid or gel, one would think something similar would occur, depending on the viscosity of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook