Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinead O'Connor Ends 18-Day Marriage

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ok, why doesn't any of this surprise me?

http://music.yahoo.com/news/sinead-oconnor-ends-18-day-marriage-161032236.html

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2
    :surprised

Celebrities real lives' more entertaining than their professional work :rofl:

I don't know about Connor other than her Nothing compares to you song.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. Dec 27, 2011 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It leaves you wondering if celebrities get married just because they're bored and it's something to do on a date with someone you barely know.

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4
    Hey, the ink was dry. My issue is that O'Connor found out my son has nothing planned this weekend and has been calling every half hour.

6. Dec 27, 2011 #5

Evo

:eek:

7. Dec 27, 2011 #6

rhody

Gold Member

IMHO, I only have two words for that because they are all it deserves,

"Train Wreck"

Move along folks, the show is over until marriage number five.

Rhody... :yuck:

8. Dec 27, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

9. Dec 27, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Dec 27, 2011 #9
    But it's the same sex couples that want to ruin the sanctity of marriage, right?

11. Dec 28, 2011 #10
    Sanctity of marriage? The highest rates of STDs, abortions, homicides, child abuse, rape, and divorce are in the Bible Belt. Half of all people who marry divorce, but the vast majority of those who remarry do so for life. Marriage doesn't need sanctity, it needs realism and obviously Sinead O'Connor's reality is so far from the norm its not worth considering.

12. Dec 28, 2011 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Is she still a bald chick?

EDIT: OK, no, now she's going for the G.I. Jane look.

13. Dec 28, 2011 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that an iterative process? Eventually, that half of a half of a half...marrying for the fifth time or so is bound to keel over before one more divorce, making the last one "married for life." I kind of wonder why people bother remarrying if they're still getting it wrong after two tries. I can understand the "young and stupid" defense for trying twice, but after that, why not just accept you're not that good at picking partners and save the expense of the wedding and divorce and just live together until bored.

14. Dec 28, 2011 #13

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are there any marriage-related businesses offering "buy one get one free" deals yet?

15. Dec 28, 2011 #14
    Leaving gold diggers aside, it doesn't make much sense not to marry a long time partner when there are financial/other benefits for married couples.

16. Dec 28, 2011 #15
    Except for the fact that there are harsh financial penalties should the partnership ever dissolve.

17. Dec 28, 2011 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Sinead is an accomplished vocalist. She is also a social activist. We should should perhaps temper the reactions to her very-short marriage in terms of these considerations.

She is not a Kardashian, and should not get that level of contempt in the press, IMO. I was never a fan of her music, but at least she was not "famous for being famous".

18. Dec 29, 2011 #17
    The odds of people divorcing go way down after about seven years and some have suggested that humans are naturally serially monogamous. After seven years the first children conceived would likely be old enough to be somewhat self-sufficient and even able to help raise younger siblings. It would explain why divorce rates are so consistent from one culture to the next when the practice is widely accepted and would help to mix the gene pool.

Less then 150 years ago women in the US could still not own property and, thus, there was the proverbial "widow next door, she's been married seven times before". Some women specialized in marrying pioneer men with dangerous job occupations, some would travel around the globe to start families on isolated farms with complete strangers, etc. Today we still see vestiges of such inequality in the system with same sex couples fighting for the right to marry so they can demand such simple privileges as the right to visit their loved ones in the hospital. We have prenuptial contracts and divorce courts that highlight just how much of a legal and business arrangement the entire institution has always been. The real question then isn't why do people get married five times, but why does society continue to confer special legal status to the institution and care about who is sleeping with whom?

19. Dec 29, 2011 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

An 18-day marriage is stupid stupid stupid no matter who does it or how talented they might be in something.

So, i ask again: Who?

20. Dec 29, 2011 #19
    Half of all marriages end in divorce. The other half end in death. Something to consider before marrying.

21. Dec 29, 2011 #20

Evo

She was always known for being somewhat extreme. She went on tv and proclaimed she was a lesbian. Then she went on tv and said she wasn't really. And based on her current actions, she's possibly worse. She has a new album coming out, it may be safe to think this is, at least in part, a publicity stunt. She deserves the press she got.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook