Sketch slope field for dy/dx = 2x - y and find solution curve

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alcubierre
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ap Test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Alcubierre
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider the differential equation [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = 2x - y

On the axes provided, sketch a slope field for the given differential equation at the twelve points indicated, and sketch the solution curve that passes through the point (0, 1).

Homework Equations



[itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = u where u = 2x - y

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = 2x - y

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = u where u = 2x - y

u' = 2 - [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]Then what do I do? I have no clue where to go from here.
Is this a homogeneous differential equation?

I know what to do in regards to the rest of the problem, I just don't know how to separate so I can integrate. Do I use the substitution method or integrating factors?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
du/dx isn't equal to u. dy/dx=u. What is du/dx? Try to write the differential equation completely in terms of u instead of y. Then separate it.