Slide Rules vs Calculators: A Scientist's Journey to Efficient Computing

• Thread starter LudditeSlyDruler
  • Start date
In summary, slide rules and calculators have both played significant roles in the history of computing for scientists. Slide rules were once the primary tool for mathematical calculations, but were eventually surpassed by the convenience and accuracy of calculators. Scientists have now embraced digital computing as the most efficient and versatile method for complex calculations. However, slide rules still hold a nostalgic value for some, and continue to be used in certain specialized fields. Ultimately, the evolution of computing tools has greatly enhanced scientists' ability to process and analyze data, leading to more efficient and accurate research.
LudditeSlyDruler
Bonjour

Thanks for having me aboard. Ran across this interesting forum looking for a 5-inch K + E Decilon.

Biologist, former Navy officer, who's used slide rules since making one the summer after sixth grade.

Bon journée!

https://plus.google.com/115632535271062210827/posts/Cx5ecjUoTYH

Tale of Three Slide Rules tear sheet.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LudditeSlyDruler. ⛵
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

I used a British Thornton double-sided slide rule in my final year of HS and first year of uni, then abandoned it for a Reverse-Polish HP-45. I felt I'd been liberated from mathematical drudgery.