Solving y=e^nx: What's the Result of d^ny/dx^n?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ludi_srbin
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ludi_srbin
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
The problem says that if y=e^nx, then d^ny/dx^n=?

I got that the result is n^2e^nx, but it is not among the offered choices. Can someone tell what did I mess up? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not differentiating twice, like you did ([tex]n^{2}e^{nx}[/tex]), but "n" number of times.
 
Poop-Loops said:
You're not differentiating twice, like you did ([tex]n^{2}e^{nx}[/tex]), but "n" number of times.


Oh I see. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that it is a second derivative. Thanks for the help.:smile:
 
ludi_srbin said:
Oh I see. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that it is a second derivative. Thanks for the help.:smile:

Yes, in general it is a mistake to assume something when you are told differently!