Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Source of synchotron radiation causing galactic background noise

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    Hi guys,

I understand that in the Sun electrons are released upper chromosphere and corona which causes synchotron radiation when they spiral through its magnetic field, but how does it work in the galactic centre? Could anyone shed some light on this?

What I mean is what's the constant source of electrons and what's the magnetic field in question that these electrons are travelling through?

I can't seem to find anything substantial online!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2
    Synchrotron radiation is the name given to the radiation which occurs when charged particles are accelerated in a curved path. Any charged particle (not just an electron) which moves in a curved path or is accelerated in a straight-line path will emit electromagnetic radiation. There does not need to be a magnetic field, any field that causes the particle to accelerate (ie the gravity of the black hole at the centre of the milky way) will produce synchrotron radiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?