South Sudan votes for independence

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Independence
In summary, the first complete results of South Sudan's independence referendum show that 99% of the population voted to secede from the north. However, there are concerns about the division of oil revenue between the two regions and the upcoming vote in the oil-rich border region of Abyei.
Physics news on Phys.org
From Astro's link:

Some 99% of South Sudanese voted to secede from the north, according to the first complete results of the region's independence referendum.

A total of 99.57 percent of those polled voted for independence, according to the referendum commission.

I'm aware of the cultural/religious differences between north and south Sudan, but when I see 99+ % of any large group of people agreeing on anything, I get a bit :uhh: skeptical. I hope for the best, though.

I wonder if Northern Sudan will be happy:

Sudan exports billions of dollars of oil per year. Southern states produce more than 80% of it, but receive only 50% of the revenue, exacerbating tensions with the north. The oil-rich border region of Abyei is to hold a separate vote on whether to join the north or the south.

Looking at the map, south has more oil fields.

1. What is the significance of South Sudan voting for independence?

South Sudan voting for independence is a historic event as it marks the official separation of South Sudan from Sudan. It is a result of a long-standing conflict and struggle for self-determination by the people of South Sudan.

2. What led to the decision for South Sudan to vote for independence?

The decision for South Sudan to vote for independence was a result of decades of political, economic, and social marginalization of the southern region by the Sudanese government. This led to a civil war that lasted for over 20 years and ultimately resulted in a peace agreement in 2005, which allowed for a referendum on independence.

3. How did the voting process for South Sudan's independence work?

The voting process for South Sudan's independence was conducted through a referendum in January 2011, where eligible voters were asked to choose between two options: unity with Sudan or independence. The majority of voters chose independence, and South Sudan officially became an independent country on July 9, 2011.

4. What challenges did South Sudan face after voting for independence?

After voting for independence, South Sudan faced many challenges, including building a new government, establishing infrastructure, and managing conflicts with Sudan. It also faced issues such as poverty, HIV/AIDS, and displacement of people due to ongoing violence and unrest.

5. How has South Sudan's independence impacted the region and the world?

The independence of South Sudan has had a significant impact on the region and the world. It has led to the redrawing of borders in Africa and the creation of the world's newest country. It has also brought hope for peace and stability in the region and has opened up opportunities for economic development and international relations.