Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SPACE.com: Source of Mysterious Antimatter Found

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

SPACE.com: "Source of Mysterious Antimatter Found"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080111/sc_space/sourceofmysteriousantimatterfound

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2
    It would be interesting if they recorded something (like a star) flying through that 'cloud'.

4. Jan 18, 2008 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whoa... I am thinking, "gamma ray bursts." :bugeye:

Does anyone think that matter-antimatter collusions could explain GRBs?

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    according to the article, gamma rays, at least---

From the article:

"These gamma rays apparently came from a cloud of antimatter roughly 10,000 light-years across surrounding our galaxy's core."

The key word may be "apparently".

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The article references "a type of gamma rays" generated by matter-antimatter collusion/

So there is a type that is generated by such collusions, and other types that aren't?

I posted this as a question under Cosmology yesterday; no responses so far.

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6
    "Gamma rays are very energetic photons, with energies between 1 MeV - 10 GeV."

and

"EGRET, the Energetic Gamma Ray Experiment Telescope, detects gamma rays in the energy range 20 MeV - 30 GeV. "

"In its first few years of operation, the EGRET instrument completed an entire sky survey, which detected 128 sources. Some of these objects have been identified with known sources. The LMC is the only 'normal' galaxy detected by EGRET. However, 50 EGRET sources have been identified as active galactic nuclei (AGN). "

http://astrosun2.astro.cornell.edu/research/projects/SPIGOT//gamma.html

It seems like quite a range, so I would think that they may be talking about something even more specific---but I'm not a particle/astro physicist.

I don't if it is/was a typo--but, in the first line (of this post) is states that Gamma rays are in the "1 MeV - 10 GeV" and the second "detects gamma rays in the energy range 20 MeV - 30 GeV "---the two statements don't match in the same range.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?