1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space, matter and physical models

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    As far as I have seen, all physical models begin with space, and then put matter that live in space and modify it somehow. Basically the models works fine and describe reality farily well. But at some point they arrive to problems, as infinite curvatures, that prevents them to be unified.

It could be possible a model that begins with matter, and from the relations of matter then deduce space? Is this a none sense? What would be the matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To describe "relations" of matter, you need to describe the distance between matter, and once you do that you've introduced "space" in some sense. What kind of a scheme were you thinking about?

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3
    I don't have by now a cocrete idea. I think on something where distance is one of the consecuences of the form the matter units relates between them. Maybe distance is only the time it takes to react to a change. In some sense a matter unit would be reading the past history of other matter units. When we have more than two matter units this shifted times could be, in some aspects, understood as a space.

5. Feb 4, 2012 #4
    Your idea seems neither nonsensical nor silly. Don't forget to include time as well as space, or "spacetime", in your eventual solution!

Regarding the primacy of spacetime vs. matter there are (at least) three possibilities: (1) space is the progenitor of matter. I believe Einstein put considerable effort into deriving matter from empty spacetime. (2) matter is the progenitor of spacetime, which your idea, and doubtlessly others as well. (3) something more fundamental than either, from which both are derived.

My bias is door # (3), but the answer, when it surely comes, might be formulatable in all three ways.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5
    Thanks for your answer.

Where can I find information on my bias door (2) and on yours (3)? Do you have links where I can look for others work?

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6
    Read This

On Space and Time

Shahn Majid

Oxford University Press

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook