Stability of the equilibrium at (0,0)

In summary, the origin is not an isolated point, there is a whole line of fixed points or a plane of fixed points if A=0.
Akibarika
x'=y-x^3 and y'=-x^5

I've worked the jacobian which is
[-3x^2 1;-5x^4 0] and the equilibrium is at (0,0)
so jac = [0 1;0 0]

and eigenvalues are both 0

so is the stability non isolated point? and what i can say about the basin of attraction of the origin?

Could anyone help me?

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Not an area I know much about, but here goes...

It's fairly clear that the trajectory spirals clockwise around the origin. Question is, does it spiral in or out? Maybe it spirals in within some annulus and out in another.
For |y| >> |x5|, it approximates the ellipse-like curves 3y2+x6 = c. So set f(x,y) = 3y2+x6 and calculate f'. This pretty much settles the overall behavior, I think.

haruspex said:
Not an area I know much about, but here goes...

It's fairly clear that the trajectory spirals clockwise around the origin. Question is, does it spiral in or out? Maybe it spirals in within some annulus and out in another.
For |y| >> |x5|, it approximates the ellipse-like curves 3y2+x6 = c. So set f(x,y) = 3y2+x6 and calculate f'. This pretty much settles the overall behavior, I think.

but using the λ^2-τ*λ+Δ=0

if Δ=0 at least one of the eigenvalues is zero. then the origin is not an isolated fixed point. there is either a whole line of fixed points or a plane of fixed points if A=0

Spirals only satisfy τ^2-4*Δ<0.

I don't know how to draw it and pplane and XPP just confuse me.

Thanka a lot

Google for the terms "stable" or "asymptotically stable" statioary point. First you have to
understand this terms and then you will find a characterization based on the eigenvalues.

Akibarika said:
but using the λ^2-τ*λ+Δ=0
if Δ=0 at least one of the eigenvalues is zero. then the origin is not an isolated fixed point. there is either a whole line of fixed points or a plane of fixed points if A=0
Spirals only satisfy τ^2-4*Δ<0.
As I said, I'm ignorant of the theory - just working from first principles.
dy/dx = -x5/(y-x3). This is zero on the y-axis and infinite elsewhere along y = x3. For y > x3 > 0, it is negative; for y < x3 > 0 positive, etc. This certainly makes it look like spirals.
Now consider f = 3y2+x6. f' = 6yy'+6x5x' = -6yx5 + 6x5y - 6x8 = - 6x8
So f (which is everywhere >= 0) is reducing with time everywhere except on the y-axis. But the trajectory does not stay on the y-axis except at the origin, so if the limit set includes points off the origin it also includes points of the y-axis. Since the value of f constrains those of |x| and |y|, x and y must tend to a limit of 0.

The fact that the functions are 0 there mean it is, as you say, an equlibrium- nothing happens there! It is like you were sitting at the top of a hill of bottom of a depression. The fact that the eigenvalues are all 0 means that nothing is happening around the point! It is so flat, in some area around the point, that there no "motion" around the point. Essentially that says that linear approximations (which is what the Jacobean gives you- a linear approximation around the given point) are not enough and you will have to allow higher powers to learn anything about the properties of the system.

1. What does "stability of the equilibrium at (0,0)" mean?

The stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) refers to the behavior of a system or a function when the input variables are set to zero. In other words, it is the state at which the system is in balance and remains in that state without any external influence.

2. How is the stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) determined?

The stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the system or function when small perturbations are introduced. If the system returns to its original state after the perturbations, it is considered stable. If the system moves away from the equilibrium point, it is considered unstable.

3. What factors affect the stability of the equilibrium at (0,0)?

The stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) can be influenced by various factors such as the parameters and initial conditions of the system, the nature of the system's dynamics, and the presence of external disturbances or feedback mechanisms.

4. Why is it important to study the stability of the equilibrium at (0,0)?

Understanding the stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) is crucial in predicting the behavior of a system or function in the long term. It helps in identifying critical points and determining the conditions under which a system can remain in a balanced state. This knowledge is essential in various fields, including economics, ecology, and engineering.

5. Can the stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) change over time?

Yes, the stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) can change over time. It can be affected by changes in the system's parameters, external factors, or the introduction of feedback mechanisms. Therefore, it is important to continuously monitor and analyze the stability of the equilibrium at (0,0) to ensure the system remains in a desired state.