Star Trek: 40 Years of Inspiring Young Minds

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of the Star Trek series on popular culture and science. It is noted that many scientists and engineers credit Star Trek for sparking their interest in science, and that the show has inspired real technology and advancements. The discussion also touches on the naming of the space shuttle Enterprise, with some debate over whether it was directly influenced by Star Trek or if the name was chosen for other reasons. The conversation ends with a mention of Star Trek memorabilia being sold at an auction.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What an incredible story: An unpopular and short lived series refuses to die, and now, along with its offspring, Trek spans forty years that have inspired countless young minds.
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/

[The History Channel is currently running a two-hour documentary in honor of Treks 40th birthday.]

Many, many, scientists and engineers will tell you that Star Trek played a significant role in their early love of science. Trek devices and ideas have inspired real technolgy and science, and we have even named a space craft, Enterprise, in honor of Roddenberry's contribution to the spirit and love of space exploration.

You'll never catch me at a Trek convention, and I can't cite Trek statistics or tell you the going price for dilithium crystals, but Trek captured my heart in 1966 and never let go. I for one consider Roddenberry a hero, and the success of Star Trek nothing less than a cultural phenomenon; visionary and, at least in its influence, on par or far exceeding the work of Verne, and Orwell. It is hard to do better than inspiring entire generations of scientists and science lovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can we really attribute the name Enterprise to Star Trek? http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-e/entrp5.htm" was first commissioned in 1877, The second Enterprise played a historic role in WWII, the 3rd and current USS Enterprise was commissioned in 1965, still 2 years before Star Trek. I always thought that Star Trek simply adapted a historic name to connect to a past we were familiar with. Isn't is a bit of circular logic to give credit to Star Trek for the name of the space shuttle?

I like the TNG series. I enjoy the actors/plots. I don't care for any of the new stuff though.

Integral said:
Can we really attribute the name Enterprise to Star Trek? http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-e/entrp5.htm" was first commissioned in 1877, The second Enterprise played a historic role in WWII, the 3rd and current USS Enterprise was commissioned in 1965, still 2 years before Star Trek. I always thought that Star Trek simply adapted a historic name to connect to a past we were familiar with. Isn't is a bit of circular logic to give credit to Star Trek for the name of the space shuttle?

Well they were going to name it Constitution but Trek fans wrote to the president until they gave in and called it Enterprise. If I remember correctly Star Wars fans not wanting to be out-done campaigned to get it called millenium falcon but that's just silly.

Yey! Well done Star Trek :smile:

Integral said:

Kurdt's right, They were going to name it differently and had their minds changed by the write-in campaign. Gene Roddenberry and most of the original cast were special guests at the dedication ceremony. It was even rolled out of its hangar to the Star Trek theme.

Ironically enough, Gene was not all that happy with the name. He felt it held too much of a military heritage and felt that the shuttle should have been named after a famous ship of exploration instead. (Of course it could have been worse, if they had kept one of the original concept names for the ship in Star Trek, our first shuttle could have been the "Yorktown".)

So while the Starship Enterprise was named after earlier ships from history, It was the Starship Enterprise that inspired the name of the Shuttle Enterprise.

However, the Star Wars fans part is a bit off, as the Enterprise rolled out of its hangar in 1976, almost a year before Stars Wars came out. They may have campaigned to change the name of a later shuttle though, I don't know.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I like the TNG series. I enjoy the actors/plots. I don't care for any of the new stuff though.
TNG is my favorite. They lost me with Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

Heh - I didn't know that about the space shuttle. I had always assumed it was based on the ship(s). I was always surprised there wasn't also a space shuttle "Intrepid" (we've had 4 and the British 8 ships with that name). We've had 8 enterprises (the British 14). Constitution would have been a reasonble name too, though.

Last edited:
To further betray my Star Trek geekiness:

Of course, if they had known at the time that the first shuttle would never be made space-worthy, The fans would have better serve their purpose by waiting to have the second shuttle named Enterprise. The funny thing about this is that it would have been a closer parallel to the Star Trek universe. In Star Trek mythos, the Enterprise is a Constitution class starship and the second of its line( the Constitution, NCC-1700 being the first).

Janus said:
However, the Star Wars fans part is a bit off, as the Enterprise rolled out of its hangar in 1976, almost a year before Stars Wars came out. They may have campaigned to change the name of a later shuttle though, I don't know.

Oh well seems I've fallen victim to an urban legend. I can always claim I'm too young to know any better anyway :tongue2:

Janus said:
It was even rolled out of its hangar to the Star Trek theme.

Which I remember very well. It was a stellar day for geeks!

The miniture NCC-1701-D, sold at Christies for $500,000.

Picard's flute [name that episode] sold for $40,000. Patrick Stewart was clearly thrilled to hear this, but he had to laugh as he pointed out that the flute doesn't even play.

On a sad note, the original NCC-1701 miniature only snatched a quarter million.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
The miniture NCC-1701-D, sold at Christies for $500,000.

Picard's flute [name that espisode] sold for $40,000. Patrick Stewart was clearly thrilled to hear this, but he had to laugh as he pointed out that the flute doesn't even play.

I'd have loved to be able to be at that sale and buy something :cry:

Picards flute was from the Inner Light when an alien probe downloads a lifetime of experience from a dead alien planet.

I think there was only one item that sold for less than $2K. Many people there were completely unprepaired and absolutely blown away by the bids.

Evo said:
TNG is my favorite. They lost me with Deep Space Nine and Voyager.
I didn't even make the transition to TNG well. My favorite space opera is Babylon 5. Good character development, with people changing over time, as people do, and usually some good plots, based on themes covering racism, slavery, alcoholism, nationalism, personal growth, betrayal, etc.

turbo-1 said:
I didn't even make the transition to TNG well. My favorite space opera is Babylon 5. Good character development, with people changing over time, as people do, and usually some good plots, based on themes covering racism, slavery, alcoholism, nationalism, personal growth, betrayal, etc.

Babylon-5 was excellent, well developed plot written far in advance, and the humans finally weren't the big I am in the galaxy, just a player and a small one at that; this kind of appealed to me, the idea that we go from space travel to being the big Federation very quickly given there were already plenty of races, never sat very well with me. Not that I dislike Star Trek, in all its incarnations it was great entertainment, but it's nice to see something a little more real, if you see what I mean.:smile:

For this reason I think Battlestar Gallactica is another excellent series, it has some real depth, certainly a departure from the original. Which was fun but no where near as gripping.

I'd recommend Stargate also.

Ivan Seeking said:
Picard's flute [name that episode] sold for $40,000. Patrick Stewart was clearly thrilled to hear this, but he had to laugh as he pointed out that the flute doesn't even play.
That's one of my favorite episodes.

To me, the difference between Trek and the other shows was that Trek pioneered new ideas and explored the remote recesses of theoretical physics for its inspiration. IMO, the rest are just space operas and never have captured my interest, with the exception of Stargate SG1.

We once spent an entire QM lecture discussing the Heisenberg compensators.

Me too, Evo.

There were also the social contributions made: MLK once contacted Nickelle Nichols [Uhura] to tell her what an inspiration she [her character] had been for black women everywhere. She was a black woman who held a command position, the first ever seen in such a role, and when she kissed Kirk, it was the first interracial kiss on TV.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
To me, the difference between Trek and the other shows was that Trek pioneered new ideas and explored the remote recesses of theoretical physics for its inspiration. IMO, the rest are just space operas and never have captured my interest, with the exception of Stargate SG1.

We once spent an entire QM lecture discussing the Heisenberg compensators.

Me too, Evo.

There is a satisfaction in recognising the concepts behind certain equipment from their names such as the Heisenberg compensators and you mention and the Bussard collectors etc. Also as you mentioned in the original post it inspired a lot of now available equipment, mobile phones for a rather obvious example.

I'm still waiting for a replicator. :frown:

Tea...Earl Grey...hot!

Ivan Seeking said:
My problem with Trek was that it was Gunsmoke in outer space. The same core cast of characters playing off the same relationships. I mean, put a vest and a cowboy hat on the McCoy character and have him say "Dammit, Matt, I'm a doctor not a miracle worker!" Then Miss Kitty would stand him to a beer. Don't get me wrong - I liked the original Trek, but then again I liked Gunsmoke, Maverick, etc, too. There just wasn't much good programming on TV during the '60s, unless you count comedy-variety shows like the Smothers Brothers and Laugh-In.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
My problem with Trek was that it was Gunsmoke in outer space.

IIRC, that is how exactly how Roddenberry pitched it to the Network... or maybe that's what the network wanted...Janus? Anyway, it was a tough sell when, as my dad once said, US TVs were full of nothing but horse sh't and gunsmoke. [When the TV failed one day, he claimed that this is what he found inside]

One possible correction: After thinking about it, I'm not sure now if it was MLK, or his wife, Coretta Scott King, who spoke with Nichols, but in any case, the Ohura character was a notable social contribution; especially when one considers the time. Recall that MLK was killed in 1968.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
One possible correction: After thinking about it, I'm not sure now if it was MLK, or his wife, Coretta Scott King, who spoke with Nichols, but in any case, the Uhura character was a notable social contribution; especially when one considers the time. Recall that MLK was killed in 1968.

Ahh yes the famous first inter-racial kiss on television between Kirk and Uhura. Ground-breaking too.

I think Lucy and Desi beat them for first interracial TV kiss. But first black/white kiss - yes, probably.

Evo said:
I'm still waiting for a replicator. :frown:

Tea...Earl Grey...hot!

It it all clear now...Tsu thinks I'm a replicator! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Math Is Hard said:
I think Lucy and Desi beat them for first interracial TV kiss. But first black/white kiss - yes, probably.

What do you mean? Lucy was Cuban. :uhh:

Well, I don't think they ever shared a passionate kiss, but, good point.

Interesting, recall that Star Trek was produced by Desilu productions.

Ivan Seeking said:
IIRC, that is how exactly how Roddenberry pitched it to the Network... or maybe that's what the network wanted...Janus?
He pitched it as "Wagon trail to the Stars" (After all, during the '60s westrens were king). The first pilot "The Cage" didn't sell simply because the network thought it was too "cerebral" and didn't hold up the the billing. They were impressed enough with what they saw to ask fro a second pilot (almost unheard of) and the second attempt, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" sold the series.
Anyway, it was a tough sell when, as my dad once said, US TVs were full of nothing but horse sh't and gunsmoke. [When the TV failed one day, he claimed that this is what he found inside]

One possible correction: After thinking about it, I'm not sure now if it was MLK, or his wife, Coretta Scott King, who spoke with Nichols, but in any case, the Ohura character was a notable social contribution; especially when one considers the time. Recall that MLK was killed in 1968.

It was MLK. At the time, she was thinking of quitting the series, and when she told him, he said "You can't!".

Ivan Seeking said:

Funny story about that, It seems that Lucy wasn't paying that much attention when the show was pitched to the studio. About the only thing that stuck with her was the title "Star Trek" and somewhere along the line she got it into her head that it was about celebrities perfoming on a cruise ship.:tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:

Is this sarcasm, I can't tell?

Shes not cuban.

Janus said:
It was MLK. At the time, she was thinking of quitting the series, and when she told him, he said "You can't!".

Ah, that's right. I didn't want to overdramatize things but I remembered it being a surprising story.

Cyrus, Lucy was famous for her red hair...:biggrin:

And, all geeks are hereby fined three bars of gold-pressed latinum for failing to note that Picards flute was featured in two, not one episode! :grumpy: I believe that it made a couple of showings in a third as well... I am so ashamed.

Last edited:

Bing bang.

Ivan Seeking said:
And, all geeks are hereby fined three bars of gold-pressed latinum for failing to note that Picards flute was featured in two, not one episode! :grumpy: I believe that it made a couple of showings in a third as well... I am so ashamed.
I thought you were talking about the show where he got it. Yes, he played it in several shows.

Evo tries to pull a Ferengi on me...

Too late now, please transport my latinum. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Evo tries to pull a Ferengi on me...

Too late now, please transport my latinum. :biggrin:
As soon as I get a transporter I'll send them right over. :biggrin: