What Makes Star Trek Continues So Awesome?

In summary, the new movies are good, but they lose the sense of wonder that made the old shows special.
dkotschessaa
This actually works! If you're tired of being disappointed by the gawd-awful movies that have come out recently, there is hope...

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

It takes a bit to adjust to the characters. A bit like jumping in a slightly cold swimming pool before getting used to it. Amazing to think that amateur technology now is equal to or better than what major TV companies had in the 60s.

Looks like it started as a kickstarter project. I don't know how they get around copyright and such, but it seems not to be a problem.

-Dave K

Likes himagain, Q_Goest and jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
This is great! Thanks for the post! It really nails the feeling of the original series with the closeup facial shots...

Yes, they've got everything down. Sounds, lighting, music. It's perfect. Almost better, though I'll always have an attachment to the original characters.

For episode 3, make sure you watch "Mirror Mirror" from season 2 of the original series first. It's an awesome episode and there is complete continuity. The episode picks up in the alternate universe. Amazing script.

Likes himagain
The notable stars are:

- Chris Doohan as Scotty who the son of James Doohan (the original Scotty)
- Grant Imehara as Sulu of Mythbusters and movie/commercial special effects fame

Very cool!

Likes himagain
jedishrfu said:
The notable stars are:

- Chris Doohan as Scotty who the son of James Doohan (the original Scotty)
- Grant Imehara as Sulu of Mythbusters and movie/commercial special effects fame

Very cool!

Oh wow, I didn't even realize!

Just watched an episode. Actually didn't suck! I agree they've nailed the feel of TOS.

dkotschessaa said:
This actually works! If you're tired of being disappointed by the gawd-awful movies that have come out recently, there is hope...

It takes a bit to adjust to the characters. A bit like jumping in a slightly cold swimming pool before getting used to it. Amazing to think that amateur technology now is equal to or better than what major TV companies had in the 60s.

Looks like it started as a kickstarter project. I don't know how they get around copyright and such, but it seems not to be a problem.

-Dave K
You should like this one that's been around for a while. Some of the episodes even have cameos from the original crew.

Star Trek New Voyages.

I liked the new movies.

MFPunch said:
I liked the new movies.

They are neat to look at, and as a fan I will always go see them. However, Abrams has no heart, no imagination, and his productions have no sense of wonder about them at all. If you grew up with the original series, there's just nothing to love about the new ones.

dkotschessaa said:
They are neat to look at, and as a fan I will always go see them. However, Abrams has no heart, no imagination, and his productions have no sense of wonder about them at all. If you grew up with the original series, there's just nothing to love about the new ones.

YESSSS! That's it exactly.

Its like the Planet of the Apes movies, the sense of wonder is gone because we know how its going to turn out whereas the first movie with Charlton Heston had that epic ending where you see the half buried Statue of Liberty and realize that this story just took place on the Earth in the future instead of some alien planet and that's why all the sequels could never match the original.

jedishrfu said:
YESSSS! That's it exactly.

Its like the Planet of the Apes movies, the sense of wonder is gone because we know how its going to turn out whereas the first movie with Charlton Heston had that epic ending where you see the half buried Statue of Liberty and realize that this story just took place on the Earth in the future instead of some alien planet and that's why all the sequels could never match the original.

That's the sense of wonder of not knowing whether something will happen or not. But I'm talking about something a little bit different, which was more of a pervasive and somewhat more innocent kind of wonder, which was the whole tone of the earlier shows.

The new movies are just Abrams masturbatory cinematography.

Its more than that. When you see the show the first time you get a real sense of wonder that doesn't fully reappear when you see the same show again. Star Trek was special in that way. There are certain shows that I remember well:

- City on the Edge of Forever (even remember the title)
- Charlie (pilot)
- Pike (two part pilot)
- Tribbles
- The M5 computer
- the two tone adversaries (which at first thought was stupid makeup until the end when I realized the message)
- the man who lived forever as Brahms, DaVinci...
- chicago gangs
- landru
- nazis
- gary 7

and there's others that are much more vague.

One thing I've noticed is the pacing between older shows and the ones made now. Things now seem to come at you like a fire hose or when you see the old show it seems to drag a bit.

jedishrfu said:
Its more than that. When you see the show the first time you get a real sense of wonder that doesn't fully reappear when you see the same show again. Star Trek was special in that way.

Yes, but for some reason I am able to watch TOS or ENG episodes over and over again, even when I know what's going to happen next. So I'm talking about a mood, at least in my own personal experience.

There are certain shows that I remember well:

- City on the Edge of Forever (even remember the title)
- Charlie (pilot)
- Pike (two part pilot)
- Tribbles
- The M5 computer
- the two tone adversaries (which at first thought was stupid makeup until the end when I realized the message)
- the man who lived forever as Brahms, DaVinci...
- chicago gangs
- landru
- nazis
- gary 7

and there's others that are much more vague.

One thing I've noticed is the pacing between older shows and the ones made now. Things now seem to come at you like a fire hose or when you see the old show it seems to drag a bit.

The pacing may very well be part of the mood I refer too. Slower paces are more reflective and mysterious. Even if you know what's going to happen next, the characters don't, and you can still feel that sense of "not knowing" what's going on. With the newer shows, well, just wait 2 seconds.

-DaveK

I watched the first episode last night and I was quite impressed. I will certainly be watching the others. Well done!

:tongue:
dkotschessaa said:

-Dave K

These are great, dkotschessaa. Good find. I am actually watching "Lolani" right now on my new Samsung 6030 model 40 inch 1080p, 120 hz motion-corrected 3-D HDTV. Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention, using my little chromecast key dongle that plugs directly into one of my two HDMI ports

Last edited:
I'll tell you what's great about this... These people take themselves entirely too seriously. Lol, But that is what's great about it. It's the seriousness of every scene that is some way relaxing and refreshing.

Thanks for this. I've watched all three and I like them. McCoy seems quite a bit off, though I'm not as familiar with TOS as TNG, so I could be misremembering. Grant Imehara is a terrible actor and the endings seem to drag on a bit for the first two episodes, but even by the third one they worked out a lot of the kinks. They even got the "unnecessarily shirtless Kirk scene" in early.

TOS came out before I was born but I saw plenty of the episodes on TV ('76 to TNG). Every once in a while I saw an episode that I have not seen before and it was like a Christmas present. I followed the TNG pretty religiously but also had the rare treat of viewing a missed episode Christmas present.

I just watched the Mirror Universe one, and was given the feeling of a missed episode Christmas treat. Thanks for sharing!

As for the Abrams' Star Trek, it is too much to stomach.

I just gave $20 to the cause via Paypal.

dkotschessaa said:

-Dave K

I knew the episodes but I did not know about their website. Thanks for posting it.
I was also extremely impressed when I saw it the first time on youtube. The use of music, the look, the
special effects, everything was incredibly faithful to the original series. I was an immediate big fan.

The only disappointment is that, as far as I can tell, there are only 3 episodes so far. Are there more that I missed (I hope so!)?? I was afraid they had done only those three because I could not find anything more on youtube. Are they still producing?

Throw some money their way.

Yeah, I guess they need more funding. I don't see any updates on the blog site or anything. I hope it picks back up!

New episode on May 29, 2015.

Anybody see the forth episode? I hope they keep this going.

I see a lot of lurkers but has anyone else donated to the cause?

1. What is "Star Trek Continues - Awesome"?

"Star Trek Continues - Awesome" is a fan-made web series that continues the story of the original "Star Trek" series. It is created by fans for fans and is not an official production of the franchise.

2. Is "Star Trek Continues - Awesome" considered canon?

No, "Star Trek Continues - Awesome" is not considered canon as it is not produced by the creators of the original series or approved by the franchise owners. However, the creators of the web series have made efforts to stay true to the original series and maintain continuity within the "Star Trek" universe.

3. How many episodes are there in "Star Trek Continues - Awesome"?

There are 11 episodes in "Star Trek Continues - Awesome". The series was planned to have 13 episodes, but due to the untimely passing of the lead actor, the final two episodes were not completed.

4. Who are the main characters in "Star Trek Continues - Awesome"?

The main characters in "Star Trek Continues - Awesome" are Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, Uhura, Scotty, Chekov, and Sulu. The web series also introduces new characters such as Lt. Commander McKenna and Dr. Elise McKennah.

5. Where can I watch "Star Trek Continues - Awesome"?

"Star Trek Continues - Awesome" can be watched on the official website of the web series or on YouTube. It is also available on some streaming platforms such as Vimeo and Amazon Prime Video.