1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting out new/College guidance

1. Aug 17, 2013 #1

Tobias

Gold Member

Hello, my name is Tobias. I will be starting my freshman year of college this fall. I am extremely interested in Math and Physics. I am double majoring in both of these areas, and I am very excited to learn more about each of these areas! I love Physics Forum so far, but its hard for me sometimes because I don't understand the math. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could learn the math for some of these topics besides college classes. I want to really get involved in this site. I am very interested in Relativity Physics and Quantum Mechanics. If someone could help me get more involved on here that would be great!! Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong spot. This is my first post.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 18, 2013 #3

Tobias

Gold Member

I will be taking calculus. I testing pretty well on the placement test. Thanks for the sources!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. Aug 18, 2013 #4
    Tobias,

Calculus is harder than it looks, and it is the foundation of virtually all physics and engineering. Make sure you understand it as well as you can before you start jumping ahead. Think about physics as a house. It's tempting to start putting in the windows and paint right away, but it will collapse if you don't have a good foundation (calculus).

Good luck this fall!

6. Aug 18, 2013 #5

Tobias

Gold Member

Of course it is! I am really determined to learn calculus. I have been working in a college calculus book a little bit just over the summer. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook