1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing for College - Guidance

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1

interhacker

Gold Member

My university starts in September and I have nothing to do for the next two months. I have attached the list of courses usually taken in Freshman year.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70655&stc=1&d=1402988803.png

I already prepared for Calculus 1 in January using Thomas' Calculus. Any suggestions on how to prepare the Mechanics, Modern Physics and Linear Algebra with Differential Equations courses?

Course descriptions (if you want to know):

All the best. :smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why aren't you taking Calculus II in Spring? You should get the calculus classes out of the way as soon as possible.

Well, I'm not sure what the Calculus I course covers, but if it is the average Calculus I course then taking Diff Eq after only a Calc I course is a bit... weird.

4. Jun 17, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Also what is your intended major?

5. Jun 17, 2014 #4

interhacker

Gold Member

Thank you, micromass.

My intended major is Electrical Engineering possibly with a minor or a double major in Physics.

6. Jun 17, 2014 #5

interhacker

Gold Member

Course description of the Calculus 1 Course: LINK

Also, here's the suggested structure of the programme: LINK (click on the "Structure" button below "Overview")

7. Jun 17, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then why are you taking two biology courses and two chemistry courses? Are they really all necessary?

You should definitely remove one of either biology and chemistry in spring and take Calculus II instead.

8. Jun 17, 2014 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ok, that should be enough for the differential equations course.

9. Jun 17, 2014 #8

interhacker

Gold Member

You're right. I'll try to do that. Thanks. :smile:

Any other advice?

10. Jun 17, 2014 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You probably also want to take something like E&M as soon as possible (as soon as the prerequisites allow it).

Am I right in saying you're taking biology and chemistry because you enjoy it rather than because it is necessary? Nothing wrong with that. But if you first start with college, you have a number of prerequisites to get out of the way fast, like intro physics classes and intro math classes. These classes will actually stop you from taking more major-related courses since they are prereqs by many or even all of those courses. So the priority is to get these things out of the way.

Taking non-major related classes is ok, but not at the expense of crucial things like intro physics and intro math. Besides, you can always take them later in college, in your second or third year.

Anyway, as for your actual question. You can watch Linear Algebra videos on Khan Academy. They're quite good, and I think perfect for something you want. You might complement it with "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Lang.

As for mechanics and other physics, you should probably look through a book like Halliday & Resnick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook