Statistically proving a BAC under 0.08

• Thread starter SlurrerOfSpeech
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is facing a DUI charge and plans to represent themselves in court. They are seeking statistical proof that they were under the legal limit of 0.08 at the time of the incident. They have obtained breath test results and are looking for help in using statistics to prove their innocence. However, it is suggested that they instead focus on not drinking and driving and seek legal advice from a lawyer.
SlurrerOfSpeech
Was charged with DUI and am choosing to go to trial and represent myself. I want a statistical proof that I was under 0.08. I'll send this proof to a university professor to verify its validity.

Portable breath test (road side): 0.219
Datamaster breath test (police station): 0.217, 0.203

The first test was 31 minutes after being pulled over and the other two were 44 minutes after that. Armed with this info, I would like to statistically prove that I was under 0.08 when driving (i.e. 31 minutes before portable breath test).

I used to take Statistics in college, so I remember there's stuff like sqrt(N) and so forth. Can someone help me out here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You seem to be interested in statistics, so how about these?

31% of traffic related deaths in the United States are due to drunk driving.
In 2011, over 1,000 children (<14) were killed due to drunk driving.
Drunk driving costs the US some $50 billion/year. New plan, why don't you not drink and drive? Instead of trying to cheat the system, man up and move on. Learn your lesson and quit endangering the lives of others.

Likes micromass and Drakkith
Sorry, but we can't help with legal matters. Find a lawyer and see what they have to say. Thread locked.

Likes mrnike992

1. How is BAC measured?

BAC, or blood alcohol concentration, is measured by analyzing a person's blood, breath, or urine sample. The most common method is through a breathalyzer test, which measures the amount of alcohol in a person's breath and converts it into a BAC reading.

2. What does a BAC under 0.08 mean?

A BAC under 0.08 means that the amount of alcohol in a person's blood is less than 0.08%. This is the legal limit for operating a motor vehicle in most states in the United States.

3. Can a BAC under 0.08 be statistically proven?

Yes, a BAC under 0.08 can be statistically proven through scientific methods and data analysis. By using a breathalyzer or other BAC testing methods, the exact amount of alcohol in a person's system can be measured and analyzed to determine if it is under 0.08.

4. What factors can affect a BAC reading?

The BAC reading can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and amount of alcohol consumed, the rate of consumption, a person's body weight and metabolism, and any food eaten before or during drinking. Other factors such as medications, health conditions, and gender can also impact BAC readings.

5. Can a BAC under 0.08 still impact a person's ability to drive?

Yes, even a BAC under 0.08 can affect a person's ability to drive safely. Alcohol can impair judgment, coordination, and reaction time, making it dangerous to operate a vehicle even with a low BAC. It is always best to avoid drinking and driving altogether.